Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brother, niece, and nephew in Chicago and I alway plan on visiting on the last Friday of the month so I can ride Critical Mass. If you're not familiar with CM, take a look here and here, it can be best described as the anarchist's bike ride. I always have good fun and get to ride with, in Chicago's case, thousands of people who love to ride. It's a rolling party and we say, 'Screw the rules" for a few hours.

There is always a number of vintage bikes there, even a 70's Huffy Santa Fe 10 speed, I remember this bike from my youth. Sometimes, a few bikes stick out.

The first was a 96 Klein Attitude with Uniklein fork. This bike is somewhat unusual in that by 96 most were suspension but also it came with a red stem. Most came with a black stem. Which, according to Carsten, was what Klein did before Trek told them to make a generic colored, non-matching stem (hey Trek: Duh!). The guy really didn't know much about Kleins and I filled him in quite a bit about them and he was very interested. I asked him if he would consider selling but while he didn't know much about Kleins, he did love his bike.

I was riding with a guy I knew prior to the ride and was telling him about an American Comp-Lite I have. Right then a Rodriguez Tandem buzzed by. This tandem was actually constructed American Bicycle of St. Cloud, MN. I caught up to the guy and mentioned that the bike was actually an American. He insisted I was wrong several times. He handed over his drivers license with a big smile and I saw that his name was Rodriguez and I agreed that it was a Rodriguez.

Now this is where Stan should hang his head in shame. The guy told me that he dumpster dived the complete bike! I said, "You're kidding:eek:". Nope, he dumpster dived it. I asked him to stop so I get a picture for VRC, so there you go.

As for the woman in the picture, he didn't come to the ride with her. He was riding the tandem by himself and the woman was on the side of the street watching the Mass go by and out of the blue, asked him to stop. :thumbsup:

Pinguwin

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
pinguwin, I hope that guy riding the Next BMX checking out your bike and your.... Hehehe!:p

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
nice score...and possible nice score;)

·
He be a moose too.
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CdaleTony said:
Where was the ride at?
The ride starts at Daley Center and goes all over the city. Sometimes south, sometimes west, wherever. The ride does follow some sort of route as people will print up a map and distribute it. Often, multiple maps are circulated and how this map or that map is decided on is a very fluid and amorphous process. Sometimes, they really don't follow it at all.

I'm not from Chicago and to answer in a few words: I don't have the foggiest idea.

Pingu

1 - 5 of 5 Posts