Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Friday, the first Critical Mass is going to hit Modesto, Ca (a killer place to live) and I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing.

I don't live in Modesto, but I live near Modesto. What kinds of effects have various critial masses had in you area?

george

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I was in one a few years back...

george_da_trog said:
Well, Friday, the first Critical Mass is going to hit Modesto, Ca (a killer place to live) and I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing.

I don't live in Modesto, but I live near Modesto. What kinds of effects have various critial masses had in you area?

george
aprox. 200 riders, in downtown Anchorage at 5:00pm Friday. This group was fairly mellow, so there were not very many problems. It was kind of fun, but I am not sure what kind of an impact that it had. (Good or Bad.)

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
It annoys the hell out of me, and I'm a biker. Should be called 'Critical Mess'. How better to convince drivers that bikes don't belong on the road than to annoy them?

Kn.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One reason I may get in on the Critical Mass is so that my friends and I can steer the direction of the mass. If we can get a good turn out of riders that just want to promote bike access to streets then we can out numer the nutcases.

Since this will be the first local mass, I'm tempted to get in on this early to set the tone. But then I don't know if it's worth it.

george

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grateful dawg said:
What makes you think you are going to have any control over anything at this gathering?
Because I can probablly get a group together to back me up. And since the promoters don't expect the mass to be more than 50 people I can show up with about a 1/3 of that a be a significant voice as to the direction and feel of the mass.

george

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Nice thought, but don't waste your time. It doesn't matter your intentions, what will be seen and reported is 80 morons riding around and blocking traffic rather than 50. If you really want to help out, show up with a big banner reading "Bikers Against Critical Mass" and let people know that those idiots don't represent all of us.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mostly Negative

george_da_trog said:

george
Critical Mass has been doing their best to guarantee that most drivers will view cycling as negative......and also supports the notion that cyclists are just rude a$$holes. I haven't met one person, that didn't particapate, that thought that Critical Mass was doing something positive.

Critical Mass doesn't even try to engage the public in a positive way. THey don't get any positive message across. If they are trying.....they are failing miserably.

I got caught in a Critical Mess in SF a couple of years ago. Until that time, I was totally pro road bike. My attitude changed on that Friday. After getting trapped for almost 3 hours.....I would have voted to ban road bikes from the city limits.....and I ride bikes. Think how the typical non-cyclict feels after being treated so poorly.

Hopefully, some people with common sense will eventually turn things around. How the CM rides during non-commute hours. Engage the driving public with pamphlets and signs promoting safe cycling and driving. Treat the drives that way that you want them to treat you.......What a concept!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Gonna have to see for myself...

WarrGuru said:
Critical Mass has been doing their best to guarantee that most drivers will view cycling as negative......and also supports the notion that cyclists are just rude a$$holes. I haven't met one person, that didn't particapate, that thought that Critical Mass was doing something positive.

I've seen this sentiment voiced here and there (most recently in a thread on this very website.). But sometimes I wonder how much of it is just the visceral reaction that some people have towards the types who are drawn towards such an event. Seems there's a lot or jumping to conclusions about the participants and labelling the entire group as "dirty hippies" or "clueless anarchists" based on the irresponsible actions of a few.

I have to see for myself before I judge. To that end I'm hopping a metrolink train into LA (Not much of a critical mass happening in the 909 as we don't have "cities" per se, just sprawl...) tomorrow afternoon with my beater fixie to participate in my first ever critical mass. I might come out of it feeling the same way you do, but I'm not gonna make any judgements until I see it firsthand.

Anyone on here gonna be riding in Critical Mass in LA tomorrow?

-Trevor

·
Registered
215 Posts
Critical Mass blocked traffic in downtown Austin and one driver got so pissed he ran down a couple bikers. I don't think anyone got hurt, but some bikes got crushed. These jerks are not friends of the biking community, and now that I've read some of these other responses it looks like the bad apples paint a pretty good picture of the whole group.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
let me know how it went!

dang forgot about it or I woulda gone. By the time I read your post, was too late.

here's a link to their site:
http://www.cicle.org/cm/criticalmass.html

I also sent ya a P.M.

Jeff

TrevorInSoCal said:
I've seen this sentiment voiced here and there (most recently in a thread on this very website.). But sometimes I wonder how much of it is just the visceral reaction that some people have towards the types who are drawn towards such an event. Seems there's a lot or jumping to conclusions about the participants and labelling the entire group as "dirty hippies" or "clueless anarchists" based on the irresponsible actions of a few.

I have to see for myself before I judge. To that end I'm hopping a metrolink train into LA (Not much of a critical mass happening in the 909 as we don't have "cities" per se, just sprawl...) tomorrow afternoon with my beater fixie to participate in my first ever critical mass. I might come out of it feeling the same way you do, but I'm not gonna make any judgements until I see it firsthand.

Anyone on here gonna be riding in Critical Mass in LA tomorrow?

-Trevor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts