Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday night an angry motorist mowed down a group of about 150 people on bicycles riding for Critical Mass in Porto Alegre, Brazil. The motorist accelerated his vehicle directly through the group of riders, injuring about 20 riders and sending 8 victims to the hospital ER with at least one victim still remaining hospitalized in serious condition.
http://www.theurbancountry.com/2011/02/critical-mass-carnage.html

I know a lot of people here dont like critical mass but it still seemed relevant.

They've found who the guy is but he hasnt been found yet.

249 Posts
Total tragedy!

I've participated in a couple of organized rides myself. That's why I treat drivers like a guy holding a gun. I hope he knows what he is doing. I hope he is of sane mind. I hope he is within my sight or hearing distance all the time.

No excuses for the idiot driver, but if I was a rider there and I heard him honking I'd be looking for the source and to the side ASAP!

On a side note. Considering the number of helmetless folks that day and the nature of the accident I am quite surprised that there was no fatality. I guess the big concrete Jesus is looking over them that day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Luckily there were no deaths. Driver needs to be prosecuted for multiple attempted murder charges. There is no excuse for him having this "accident" due to his frustration with the cyclists.

I have been a cyclist for 25yrs. During that time I have advocated safe cycling and acceptance with every non cyclist I encounter. I have seen too many of these "accidents" minimized by the legal system and the blame being placed on the cyclists. Sad commentary about our society.

But my experience and opinion with critical mass events and cyclists trying to enforce their rights on the road are counter productive to safe cycling. I participated in a Los Angeles CM event once and have been caught in traffic in a couple of others. They sound good in theory. But in practice it seems to bring out the idiots of our cycling world. Kind of like the extremists of any group that push themselves to the front and want to be seen. Politics, social issues or critical mass alike.

Sensible shared use of the roads by all users should be the goal, similar to shared trails mentality. Be an advocate to every co worker, family member or friend you come in contact with. When you meet someone complaining about or ridiculing cycling. Admit we are kooks like every sports enthusiast. The sports fan that paints his face, wears a costume or covers himself in deer urine before heading out is just as crazy. I try to be a rational person, a neighbor or normal guy you meet at a bbq instead of an advocate. Explain why we wear silly outfits, need to ride a couple of feet away from the curb due to the debris in the gutter or share stories of how we try to avoid the dangerous irresponsible drivers we encounter.

Subtle advocacy will get us farther than taking over the roads during rush hour or riding three abreast on a one lane road. Then refusing to yield to another vehicle. Think how pissed most of us mtbers are when a hiker refuses give us any room to pass on a singletrack, they are just irrationally exerting their rights. Sound familiar?

Ride safe!

·
Stucco Bucket
1,920 Posts
Pisgah said:
The NHRA does it every day.
wut?
National Hot Rod Association? Or did you mean the NRA?
NRA aint got nothing on PETA or GREENPEACE.

I agree though, mowing through people is attempted murder.
I wouldnt taunt someone or something to the point where they want to kill me. You may be legally entitled to do so, but tell it to your widow.

·
Don't Tread on Me
983 Posts
Who can deny that the business of Critical Mass is to intentionally provoke the none bike riding public. This is to the detriment of the bike community. If you want a parade or a race, apply for a permit and block off the streets like everyone else. That said, there is absolutely no excuse for what this driver did. But I am not surprised at what an angry person can do when behind the wheel of a car. Studies have shown that even normally passive people may actually become uncharacteristically aggressive when provoked while they are driving. Automobile drivers can and will suddenly behave in ways that are deadly to themselves and others. Taunting a motorist while riding your bike is the height of stupidity even if you are taunting motorists as part of a CM ride. All the PC self righteousness of the group was no match for the speed and power of a tiny little car driven by an angry motorist.

·
sketchiness abounds...
89 Posts
On a bike, cars can almost always catch you, at least when I expressed my displeasure at nearly being killed on my motorcycle I could get away from the guy!

(still scared the crap outta me, almost getting run off the road a second time by the same vehicle!)

I hope the hurt riders heal quickly and completely and that justice is done as far as the driver is concerned.

There is a lot of discussion among Brazilian cyclists that the latter may not occur in their country.

We all know it doesn't always happen here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
At 55 seconds the guy in the orange shirt turns his head, stops his bike and scoots to the side of the road. One lucky dude!

Scary to see that happen, not sure if the event will do anything other than reinforce my attempts to give motorist the right of way and try not to get hit.

On some of the road rides I have been on there are a few that will let 8-10 cars pile up behind them on a hill climb. If the car does not feel comfortable passing then I dismount and let them go, no reason to build the rage, and my cleaning of the climb is not that important to me. Both drivers and cyclist need to show respect and be curious, it really is not that hard for both parties to give a little.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.