Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I ride with tools
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 4 or 5 days to spend in Colorado in early September and have it narrowed down to these two places. Any Front Ranger opinions on which could be more fun?

I live and ride at 6-7K feet so elevation is not an issue. I like 4-6 hour rides, don't mind lots of climbing. Either buff XC trails or gnar chunk, both are good.

I drive a low-clearance passenger car so trailhead access needs to be on graded forest roads at the worst.

Your thoughts? And thank you.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
Crested Butte. Hands, feet, and everything else down. Winter Park is a nice place, but it PALES in comparison to the Butte.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
WP is "Mountain bike capital USA". They couldn't say it if it wasn't true.

Actually, there is great riding in the Frasier Valley but if I had to choose I'd choose CB if for no other reason the pine beetles haven't munched quite as many trees.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Crested Butte has amazing views and scenery but so does Winter Park. Both have lots of good trails and Winter Park does have 2 bike parks within a short distance if that matters.

I am not a fanboy of either place and have ridden many trails all over CO and they are all good in their own way. Crested Butte is a must do for it's scenery IMO. But the trails are not any better or worse than others all over CO.

Near Crested Butte is Hartman Rocks which is very XC oriented. I did like "Technical Becks" trail. But it's not for everyone.

Monarch Crest is nearby Crested Butte. So that's a plus.

Lots of camping for both places. A lot of CB's popular trails require you to ride on the dirt roads for a bit and these roads have heavy vehicle traffic. You can park a lot closer to the trail heads but most of the trail guides have you riding on the roads for many miles.
Less so IMO in the WP area.

I do agree that the dead trees is a negative for Winter Park.

Do not discount the riding on the WP or CB ski areas. Or Solvista. You can climb their fire roads to the top and ride down any one of their MTB trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts