Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I finally reached that itch. I had never ridden in CB before, so I grabbed a few much needed days off around the 4th and headed over. This whole pattern of working 9 days straight can wear down a guy. I launched from Golden on Sunday night and camped up above Buena Vista.

The first goal was the legendary 401 trail. It was the day before the 4th and there were almost as many mountain bikers as there were flies. With good reason though, the trail is a sweetie.

There are bikers in there somewhere.

Now here's an intriguing thing. I happened to fall into pace with a girl who likes to stop and take pictures. She took some of me. I took some of her. At one point she asked me if she was going to be famous. Intriguing....

Speaking of famous, we ran into this schmoe.

And this was just the first day...

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
anthonys said:
I finally reached that itch. I had never ridden in CB before, so I grabbed a few much needed days off around the 4th and headed over.
So... you've been deliberately driving around CB all this time?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Um, well, let me see. What can i say about those picture thingies you posted. Erm,...

"Looks like some breathtaking scenery, and lots of fun. Thanks for sharing."

Are you supposed to do that with your civic?:p

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
i was trying to decide between salida and CB but I think you may have tipped the scale...nice ...

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Awesome pics...looking forward to part deux. Love the shot of the civic. Tell the guy driving it that that is well outside the engineering designs of the car though.

Shoulda told that woman you'd make her famous....

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Wanna go back?

Hey Anthony, great pics as usual.

I'm flying out to Denver next wednesday with a buddy to meet Jason B. We're hitting Monarch Crest on Thursday, maybe Reno/Flag/Bear/Dead Man's on Friday, the CB Classic 100 on Saturday and something chill on Sunday before heading back to Sprawltopia. It'd be great to hook up again.

·
No Titus anymore...
334 Posts
I HATED Crested Butte and hope to never return. I thought the riding was WILDLY overrated. However, I did think 401 was brilliant. Great trail, mind-blowing pics.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Mentally deficient troll

titusguy said:
I HATED Crested Butte and hope to never return.
You really need to go back and do bear/flag/deadman's/ whatever the hell else. Mind blowing flowly downhills...now that I did the ride on the correct bike, I could see going there just to do that ride. Plus it didn't hurt my enjoyment factor that we shuttled the hell out of it...did hurt my car a little though.

Let me punch you in the left temple before we ride it to clear your mind of any preconceptions and I guarantee you'll love it...or I'll punch in your other temple for free.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Nice photos! Very familiar as I was in CB for the weekend as well, annual meet of about 40 of us total, not all riders, but most. We did 401 (from Mt Crested Butte, and all of 401) on Saturday, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans on Sunday, got weather spooked on Monday trying Doctor's Park (riding up to the top of Spring Creek Rd from Taylor River Rd was all we got in before it got ugly).

The three downhills on Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans are only a little bit spoiled by too many motorcycle whoops, but on Sunday the traction was just freaking awesome and fast and fun. One of my favorite rides anywhere. Only spoiled by running into a group who had a gal who crashed and at least dislocated her shoulder at the end of the downhill before the climb back up to the top of Deadmans. We helped as we could (I donated my ibuprofen and we had a nurse in our group for advice).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.