Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide the latest info on trail conditions around Crested Butte? A group of us will be there for the 4th of July holiday weekend. Are the 401, 409, Teocalli Ridge and **** trails rideable yet? Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
With gas goin up up up. Two place two go Durango, Crested Butte. I never have been to CB.I stay in Durango often and still have not road all the trails. Is Crested Butte realy that great? Are the trails like Durango shorter longer. Whats the thought help me out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tybo,

I live in Durango.....Yes, we have great riding.

Yet, I ride in CB every chance I get. It's that good. My cheeks still hurt from grinning all the way down Doctor's last week........:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just stay away from trails they let motos on. Those are loose as hell, powdery to boot, and have deep trenches dug in them by moto tired paddling and churning up the trails. Stick to the non-moto trails.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
BlueMountain said:
Just stay away from trails they let motos on. Those are loose as hell, powdery to boot, and have deep trenches dug in them by moto tired paddling and churning up the trails. Stick to the non-moto trails.
I would not suggest skipping Teocalli Ridge... even if it is open to motos.

And Reno->Flag->Bear->Dead, despite the motos, is one helluva ride.

The motos on those trails do monstrous damage, though. :(

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
tybo said:
Great. List the trails you would ride or have road. When I go it looks like all the trails will be open. I'll be in CB for 15 days. Thanks
Any and all. Seriously, you can't find a bad ride in CB.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The middle section of the 401 was pretty muddy as of 4 days ago.

Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadmans was rideable, though the downhill has been shredded by moto's. It's a mixed bag as w/o them we wouldn't have as many trails and they also provide a lot of trail clearing and maintenance as well. The water has gone down and the stream crossing is not a big deal even though the huge log actually broke! The moto's can't cross the stream yet, so the Deadmans section is in good shape.

Deer Creek is dusty is spots and muddy in others, but overall really good as usual.

403 was closed.

Teocalli was a mess .. give it a few more weeks.

Paradise Divide is snowed under and not passable unless one is really up for a long hike in the snow. :-(

409 is still a rock pile as always .. ouch!

The caves is torn up from being the only open trail for a while .. but Walrod is still nice.

Snodgrass is in great shape.

The wild flowers are AWESOME this year. I'm not a botanist or anything of the sort, but the flowers are incredible!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
To add to the post above, as of last weekend the **** trail was great, with a couple almost melted snow drifts to navigate through and a few fallen trees, although my crew managed to get most of them off the trail. Dr.'s Park was fantastic thanks to a little moisture. The road leading up to it was pretty muddy, though.

_MK

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
smmokan said:
Another add: Strand was in excellent condition as of last Saturday- quite the stream crossing at the end, but other than that it was in great shape, if a little dry.
Any pics of Brush Creek? I can imagine that's one HAIRY crossing... :skep:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.