Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Crested Butte Camping info

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vladamir 
Great places to camp for free is on BLM land. The one great spot that I know about is on a creek and very close to riding areas. I can’t remember the name of the campground however I can give you directions. As you enter CB continue through CB as you were headed to Mount CB (the ski resort) there will be a cemetery to your right then a dirt road to you left, take the road. Go for about 3 miles and you will see the camp ground in the bottom of the valley to your left. The road down is steep and rocky, but I saw plenty of sedans and RVs make it down with little problem. There are lots campsites, some by the creek, more if you want to cross the river. The campground has a vault toilet and little else.

Closer to trail 401, the best trail in CB in my humble opinion, is on the other side of Gothic from CB. You will see it off to your left several miles outside of Gothic before you start the accent to Shofeild pass. This is a really beautiful primitive area with lots of wildlife. I did not camp here so I cannot say what amenities the campground has. It also is very close to where trail 403 ends.

I will be in CB the first two weeks of August camping at the first location. Have a great time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.