Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so there's this really creepy guy who rides his bike all day long in my neighborhood. He's about 16-18(dunno for sure) and his family tree doesn't fork, one of the many things that makes his odd family infamous in our community. Well, I was riding the Huffinator around a coupla days ago and I noticed someone dressed like an old man doing manuals and pretty much just showing off whenever I rode by. Not impressed, I rode away. A few mintues later, he rode up to me and started talking to me! Eek! I kinda kept quiet and looking away(for an escape route). I tried wearing him out by taking the longest path possible to get home and going over the hills and rocks and other stuff that would hopefully put a damper on his flirty mood. The lil [email protected] didn't take the hint until I finally said I was going home.

Here's the creepy part: The next day I came home from the store when I see who else but Mr. Creep waiting with his bike at the corner down the street from me. Not only that but he was watching me! So yeah. No riding for a few days I'm thinking. lol My dad said he'd give him the 12 guage treatment if he ever came near me again(thank baby jesus).

Anyone else getting stalked by their neighborhood freak?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Perhaps if you'd shown him some respect and simply told him in a friendly manner that you wanted to ride solo he might have returned it and stayed where he was. I'd imagine that if nodody else in your small-brained village talks to the kid he may be lacking in social skills. Just as you are, only in a slightly different way.
Try the respect thing, you might be pleasantly surprised...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow, I'm annoyed. Where I live, mountain bikers stop and talk to each other. It's generally understood that we're all pretty cool-- regardless of age, gender, race or finanacial status.

I can't really tell from your post if you're a guy or a gal, but it's so obvious that your "stalker" is just reaching out for friendship. This kid's family has been ostracized by your community for whatever reason... so what? How does this make him a bad person? Because he dares to speak to YOU??? A friendly, "Hi, how are you, nice bike..." would have been the appropriate response. Please familiarize yourself with Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yeah these guys are right it sounds like he just wanted someone to ride with and was trying to reach out and be ur friend...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get what you guys are saying, and I was respectful to him. And I'm not saying that I'd do this to all bikers. Quite the opposite, in fact. I suppose I should've mentioned that last year he tried to stalk my friend who lives in this area as well.

I was annoyed by him not because of who his family is, but because I just got out of a relationship and have no intention of getting into another one, which he was quite obviously trying to do. So yeah, he was hitting on me and I didn't like it that well. It wasn't just the plain old "Let's be friends" approach. Trust me.

By the way, how would you treat a family who takes turns making pot-shots at people who come near their house?

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Well, that kind of changes the story, sounds like the guys a creep and his family is a menace to society. I'd just tell him to knock it off because he's got no chance.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
*** my junk deleted ***

It took me so freaking long to type a reply (too much riding today...) that I completely missed your second post. My apologies, Smashley.

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
Smashley49 said:
Yes, I'm female. Why do you ask?
Well without that detail, we didn't assume that you felt vulnerable, or why, and that the attention was perhaps threatening rather than merely annoying. What your story left us to assume was that you were being, well, a jerk.

Something to consider: It's not a very wise idea that young women try to shake their potential assailant by leading them into the hills and woods away from public areas. :nono:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Yes, I'm female. Why do you ask?"

Because it wasn't clear from your OP. As Clutchman says, it does kind of change the situation, although I stand by the sentiment of my first post. You sound frightened of him and his family, mostly because they've been demonised by the rest of the community rather than as a result of your own experiences. I'm not saying for one moment that you should be putting yourself in predicaments, but my feeling is that treating the kid like a monster is more likely to turn him into one than being civil to him is. Be firm and confident, but be polite and be respectful. Threats and name-calling are counter-productive and inflamatory. Of course I'm not suggesting long walks in the countryside with him, but try talking to him when he talks to you, even if it's only to excuse yourself before you walk/ride away. The kid has feelings and ignoring him or looking down your nose at him is only ever going to produce more bad feeling and resentment. Be the better person and break the cycle of negativity that everyone else has created. Try seeing it from his point of view.
Peace,
Steve

·
Registered
821 Posts
Smashley49 said:
How would you treat a family who takes turns making pot-shots at people who come near their house?
What do you mean "pot-shots"? If you mean they literally shoot guns at passsersby, it's against the law. The police are called, shooter goes to jail. What on earth sort of lawless landscape do you live in? Are those who come near their house trespassing?

So you're a girl? That wasn't clear in your 1st post. Nor was the history of stalking. Ok then, my daughter had an honest-to-gosh mentally ill stalker when she was a freshman in college. The guy was friendly (at first), she was pleasant back, they had lunch on the quad several times. She rejected additional advances and he went ballistic-- calling our home & her workplace over a hundred times a day to threaten her. We logged every call (close to a thousand). The police listened in and went to "have a talk" with him. He backed off. We were lucky that it ended there. Turns out the man, who had told my daughter he was 24, was actually 38 and lived with his mom. :rolleyes:

The facts you have presented, that this guy shows off in front of you and waits significantly around where you might be, isn't criminal stalking (at least I don't think so). What he's doing so far is still within the realm of normal awkward young person flirting. Nevertheless, heeding your instincts is always the plan. I suggest, again, that you be politely conversational as with any other young man (but only in public places). If he asks you out on a date, tell him you have a serious boyfriend in college upstate (or whatever). It's a white lie, but one that shuts the door while allowing him to save face. If his behaviors become alarming in any way, tell your parents and notify the police. Be Safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
eric said:
*** my junk deleted ***

It took me so freaking long to type a reply (too much riding today...) that I completely missed your second post. My apologies, Smashley.

Hehe it's all good, Eric :)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Dangeruss said:
Well without that detail, we didn't assume that you felt vulnerable,
Why would a woman automatically feel more vulnerable? From what I've been taught in public schools, we are all the same. :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for the record

I never felt vulnerable, simply pestered and not wanting to get involved with him, that's all. There was no name calling, I didn't put him or his Mongoose down, and I spoke to him like I do everyone else. I only felt a lil scared the next day when he was waiting near my house for like 20 min. just looking at the house. Tis all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
These days you have to trust your insticts.
Don't take any chance's just to be polite. Predators take advantage of things like that.
If it did'nt feel right to you and you felt creeped out you did the right thing
The hell with how he felt..
And it really shouldent matter if you are male or female

For you guys that are judging her would you feel diffrent if that was your daughter or son?

For me I am 6.1 and over 200 lbs and can handle myself pretty well and not afraid of much so personaly I might have handled it a bit diffrent like I am sure some of you would have but thats just us.

I do not blame you or anyone for not being friendly to strangers or others that seem wierd.
I wish the world was diffrent and everyone could love everyone else be friendly and not have to be that way but thats not the reality these days.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
I try to say "Hi" to most everyone out on the trail. Most don't say "Hi" back. Do they think I'm a stalker? Maybe because the world is so dangerous these days they don't want to take any chances by acknowledging my hello. Or maybe they are just a-holes.

In either case it's pretty sad the way this world is going.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts