Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally converted to the LED craze. My old light for night riding (very old) was a Niterider 10W Halogen. After reading the various DIY threads here I decided to build my own. I gave my wife the list of components I wanted (2 Cree XR-E with a 1000ma Buck Puck) and Christmas was done.

I drive the system with a 7.2V battery pack from Radio Shack. I keep it in my Camelback. I made my own box and I get 400 lumens out of this little helmet mounted monster.

Thanks for the inspiration! I will post pix when I figure out how to attach them.

As a note, my kids (5 & 9) held the old halogen at night in the back yard, and I fired up the new light. They said "Dad, where did our light go?"

It was awesome!

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pix

8 degree lenses. Left that out before.

# 1 Helmet mounted light
#2 old light outside 30 feet
#3 new light outside 30 feet
#4 old inside basement 18 feet
#5 new inside basement 18 feet

Attachments

·
Just a flesh wound
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too Heavy

I tried it, but the 4 AA batteries did not have enough forward voltage to drive the LED's. But I think I'll put a single on the bars with a 20 degree lens and self contained batteries.

Jim, I was skiing at Mad River 1 week ago (awesome) where is the snow?

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
Prophet Julio said:
I tried it, but the 4 AA batteries did not have enough forward voltage to drive the LED's. But I think I'll put a single on the bars with a 20 degree lens and self contained batteries.
I was thinking 2 leds in parallel (rather than series) with a DX driver on each. Should work. I hope so, since that's the circuit and power supply of the helmet light I'm building now. (not self contained and no Altoids tin though)

Jim, I was skiing at Mad River 1 week ago (awesome) where is the snow?
It's mostly in the rivers now, flowing towards the ocean :( But this happens every December....it will return. The best snow is in March. We average 7' in March at Killington. (I tune skis part time there in the winter, for the free pass ;) )

JZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.