Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience w/ the "credits" system at Competitive Cyclist?

Specifically, I'm interested in the expiration timeline. Their not-so-helpful FAQ says only that expiration "depends on how you earned the credits."

They are running a promotion currently to get $50 in credits on >$200 purchases. I'm wondering if that $50 credit is likely to expire in 30 days? 90 days? one year?

I can ask CC directly of course, but I'm curious if this system has caused any frustration w/ others.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Click on details

"When you place an order for $200, using the coupon code: PRIME, $50 in credits will be applied to your competitivecyclist.com account. Credits must be used towards a future order by May 14, 2014.

Credits void if you return items from your qualifying $200 order. Log in to your competitivecyclist.com account to view your available credits balance."

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that makes me look pretty stupid, doh!

I didn't get that welcome page when I originally clicked through. Anyway, it confirms my suspicions that the credits would be sketchy. I'm sort of disappointed to see CC go this direction, rather than just a discount. All it does is make me do a $200 order followed by a $50 order. They pay free shipping twice, which is to their disadvantage. Just giving a $50 discount on a $250 purchase would yield the same result for me, but savings on shipping for them.

I suppose many customers are induced to purchase and get credits, but then fail to use them before expiration.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I didn't get that welcome page when I originally clicked through. Anyway, it confirms my suspicions that the credits would be sketchy. I'm sort of disappointed to see CC go this direction, rather than just a discount. All it does is make me do a $200 order followed by a $50 order. They pay free shipping twice, which is to their disadvantage. Just giving a $50 discount on a $250 purchase would yield the same result for me, but savings on shipping for them.

I suppose many customers are induced to purchase and get credits, but then fail to use them before expiration.
I'm glad you posted this. I have $45 in credits that expire on the 27th I had forgotten about. Now I just need to decide what to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
Also, the credits will appear in both your Backcountry.com and Competitive accounts as they're pretty much the same company. However, they both don't necessarily carry the same items. In addition, you can call in or chat to price match other sites, and still apply the credit on top of the price matched price. Lastly, if you have a Discover Card, you can get 5% cash back on Backcountry. During the holiday shopping season, this goes up to 10%, in addition to another 5% through Discover's own holiday promotion. Just as an example, will the credits, cash back promotions, and price matching applied this past December, I splurged on an Ibis Mojo HDR with Chris King Headset and Pike for around $2600 total, spread over 3 orders.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I was hoping for a code, I can get free shipping if I chat with someone, but they won't cover the 10% cash back you can get from activejunky

but hey, 10% is much better than the $80 shipping. Yesterdya the guy offered me a free shipping and $250 credit but wouldn't cut me a deal with the 10% cash back included which I only get if I buy through active junky!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was hoping for a code, I can get free shipping if I chat with someone, but they won't cover the 10% cash back you can get from activejunky

but hey, 10% is much better than the $80 shipping. Yesterdya the guy offered me a free shipping and $250 credit but wouldn't cut me a deal with the 10% cash back included which I only get if I buy through active junky!
Do they even know you are using a cash back site? What do they say if you ask about doing an order online and then asking them to modify it? I've had them modify an order after it was placed to add a credit and I don't think they re-booked a new order, rather modified an existing order.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Do they even know you are using a cash back site? What do they say if you ask about doing an order online and then asking them to modify it? I've had them modify an order after it was placed to add a credit and I don't think they re-booked a new order, rather modified an existing order.
I think it's more like they are getting a bonus if you make the order through him, but the cash back won't work if they create the order for you, something to do with the site confirming back to activejunky about a complete order, which doesn't happen if you talk to a gearhead. I think you can't always get everything...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Credits are an advantage to Comp Cyclist. Instead of just giving you $50 off which actually costs them a full $50, they give you a $50 credit which brings you back to buy something else likely for more than $50. On top of this, the $50 credit really costs them less because of the margins that they have on their merchandise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.