Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New blood here with a question... (1st post)
I recently bought a used 1999 El Salt, and had it modified for more clearance essentially making it look like a 2006 i think. Sherwood did a fabulous job. The only thing is.. that after getting it back and riding it for a while it developed a creak that i narrowed down to the frame ( I think). I have lubed everything and tightened all that needs to be tightened a couple of times.. untill finally i found it. By putting the bike in a stand and rocking it back and forth while being held by the seatpost I was able to duplicate the noise..its a medium pop\click sound that eminates from the gusset area. also i can get a creak from the front weld by the headtube if i put my hands on the front and back of the bike pulling together and pushing down\away respectively.
The modification to my bike included many things one of which was having the top tube cut out and rewelded at different angle inorder to give me 3 inches more standover.
Here is my question .... is having the frame modified like going to possibly create a weakness or creak at the welds? And is there anything i can do about it?:madman:
Thanks for any responses
Dan

BTW my bike rides and looks great, i just cant get rid of that darn noise.
For some reason i cant upload pics but ill keep trying.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
It's possible the gusset may be panting and causing the popping/clicking noise. A bit like when you press the top of one of those popper cans. You should be able to see this happening if you watch carefully. A creaking weld suggests a crack forming.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Popping or creaking is caused by movment. A weld cant creak unless it has failed and the two ajoined parts are moving. Flexing Gusset like a soda can? Not really posable. You would have to flex both gusset plates and the joint of the tubing. It could be made of crap tube and half the wall thikness and you would not be able to flex it in a bike stand. I would pull everything from your head set to bottom bracket and grease it. A creak can radiate through a whole frame and were you think its coming from could be missleading. Sounds like the seat post needs greasing or replaced.Good luck, I feel your pain, nothing worse than a nagging creak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 2000 El Salt had a frame creak also. In my case it was the sleeve on the seat-tube. In that model the seat-tube had a sleeve that formed the upper end of the seat-tube. The sleeve extended down the seat-tube a ways and was joined to the actual (outer) seat-tube by a weld near the top. The inner sleeve would flex a little bit and rub against the outer seat-tube. Sherwood recommended pouring a little oil down the seat-tube, letting it run down past the end of the sleeve and then storing the bike upside-down overnight to allow the oil to run down between the sleeve and the seat-tube. I did this 6 years ago and haven’t heard a sound since then.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
BINGO!

We have a winner.

If he indeed has a '99 Salty this is the most likely scenario. Any type of lube will do but I put in White Lightning Race day in my '98 Marble (same seatpost design) And 8 years later, no clicking or creaking.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
I can see how you would get that impression from the original post.

I just wanted to point out that when Ventana Does the work, it gets done right :)

-Aaron

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My appoligies if i misled anyone to believe it wasnt sherwood who made the modifications..I realize that Ventana is 100 percent behind their superb quality. The craftsmanship put into my bike is nothing short of excellent.. It just makes me happy as a lark when riding it or even just plain checking it out.
I suppose that the reason i asked was because ventana doesnt offer warranty for used frames ( for obvious reasons). But since its sort of a new build on an old frame, then i think i will do as you suggested and talk to ventana directly.. they have been super helpfull with all my other questions..
Btw, yes it was heat treated.. I am also going to try putting oil down the seat tube tonight or tomorrow.. Thank you very much for the responses!! Very helpful indeed!

For some reason i wasnt able to upload pics but ill try again.
See ya on the trails!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My appoligies if i misled anyone to believe it wasnt sherwood who made the modifications..I realize that Ventana is 100 percent behind their superb quality. The craftsmanship put into my bike is nothing short of excellent.. It just makes me happy as a lark when riding it or even just plain checking it out.
I suppose that the reason i asked was because ventana doesnt offer warranty for used frames ( for obvious reasons). But since its sort of a new build on an old frame, then i think i will do as you suggested and talk to ventana directly.. they have been super helpfull with all my other questions..
Btw, yes it was heat treated.. I am also going to try putting oil down the seat tube tonight or tomorrow.. Thank you very much for the responses!! Very helpful indeed!

For some reason i wasnt able to upload pics but ill try again.
See ya on the trails!

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
BINGO!

We have a winner.

If he indeed has a '99 Salty this is the most likely scenario. Any type of lube will do but I put in White Lightning Race day in my '98 Marble (same seatpost design) And 8 years later, no clicking or creaking.
Use Linseed Oil....drop a lot of it in the seat-tube. Put some type of cork in your seatpost. Install seatpost in the frame, clamp it down. Flip the bike upside down and let it sit there for an hour or so. Then pull the post out and once again turn the bike upside down to drain out the excess oil. Relube seat tube and set in the post. This will no-doubt cure the creak if it is in fact coming from the sleeve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.