Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a pushed 05 Talas that I bought used. Just my luck, but on the 2nd or 3rd ride it has developed a nasty creak in either the crown/steerer or crown/stantions. I'm 95% sure this is where the creak is as I've taken apart the front end about 10 times now and tried everything to isolate what's causing it. I finally did the test where you put the bike upside down, stand on the handlebars and move the fork legs back and forth and it creaks like mad.

So anyway, considering I'm not the original owner, I'm probably SOL on getting this warrantied (plus it's more than a year old). Where should I send it to get fixed, Fox or Push?

climr

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
climr,

As you mentioned, being the second owner as well as outside of a year old takes your chances of warranty away unfortunately. We do stock upper assemblies for the TALAS forks and can get the fork repaired very quickly. Cost on the uppers is $175 which includes upper an lower fork bushings, plus the price of a Factory Rebuild $159. At the same time the fork would be upgraded to our new seal system and get a full TALAS cartridge overhaul.

Darren

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guys.. the fork is ALREADY pushed! The crown just started creaking and I'm trying to figure out if I should send it to Fox or Push for repair. I'm leaning toward push since the fork is about due for it's annual service anyway. That's just alot of $$$ for a fork I just bought!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
we hear ya climr and were sayin send it to push for a replacement upper assm and a rebuild. cost will be about the same either way ($75 more maybe) but long term performance and reliability will be vastly different.

if i recall, creaky uppers was a issue on some '04 and earlyer fox forks. the stantions would loosen in the crowns. this is not the safest of situations.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I may be reading Darren's message wrong, but it sounds like it's going to cost $334 to get it fixed by PUSH. What did you pay for it? If I were you, I'd complain to the original owner and see if you can get your money back. I'm just going to guess and say that you spent $250 on the fork. That would mean you're going to be spending $600 on a used fork. That's outrageous to me. You could've gotten a new one for that.

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fat Elvis,

I read it the same as you, that it'd cost $334 to fix! ouch!

For those of you that have seen this problem first hand, check out this video and let me know if you think that the uppers are the culprit. I really want to be sure before I pay that much to have it fixed.

Talas Creak Video

It sounds a little more creaky and less clicky than that in real life. Oh ya, and before you guys give me hell about the gary fisher (or worse, the road bike in the background), my flux is on order!!!!

climr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
I may be reading Darren's message wrong, but it sounds like it's going to cost $334 to get it fixed by PUSH. What did you pay for it? If I were you, I'd complain to the original owner and see if you can get your money back. I'm just going to guess and say that you spent $250 on the fork. That would mean you're going to be spending $600 on a used fork. That's outrageous to me. You could've gotten a new one for that.
A new one can creak right out of the box and after a year you would still have to pay to fix the "Fox Creak" defect. When you buy a fox fork nowadays you have to have a spare, or you wont be riding for months at a time while its at fox sitting on a shelf.

·
Registered
938 Posts
climr said:
It sounds a little more creaky and less clicky than that in real life. Oh ya, and before you guys give me hell about the gary fisher (or worse, the road bike in the background), my flux is on order!!!!

climr
That fork sounds pretty screwed to me. I wouldn't want to ride it.

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
theTnT said:
Why are you having sex with your bike? ;)

A way to be sure it is the fork is to remove it from the bike, put the steerer in a wise (use soft jaws) and see if it still creaks/clicks. That way you can easily rule out the rest of the bike,
did that test too, and I get the same creak.

·
Registered
350 Posts
climr said:
did that test too, and I get the same creak.
Then you know it's the fork.

Did you hold on the the inner legs when pressing? If so you know it's the crown by now. You could do that with the bike up side down since you're now certain it's the fork and not the head set or frame.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Exactly the same thing has happened to be. I paid £200 for a year old TALAS R, creaked started 2 months later, £120 for new crown/steerer assembly plus £80 for a service to fit.
So I sold the forks for spares or repair, for £100, & put the money together & bought NEW Rock Shox Revelation Air U-Turn - a better fork & with warranty. Here in the UK Revelations can be bought for £310, & TALAS RLC for £599 - same operation for half the price!

·
WIRVNTANASHRSH?
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I decided to wait till the fall to send it into Push. It seems to have gotten better in the last few weeks somehow. I now think it is coming from where the stanchion goes into the fork leg, not the steerer/crown assembly. Maybe this means it'll be a cheaper fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.