Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have a santa cruz heckler which has a raceface x type crank.The rest of the drivetrain is shimano xt.It has developed an annoying creak under heavy load when climing.I have tried tightening,lubing,adjusting nothing seems to cure it!!!! I have just replaced the bb which also has made no diference,the chain is also new.Could the rear mech cause a noise like this ??? Any ideas welcome
thanks
mark

·
Custom User Title
717 Posts
markyboy said:
Hi there
I have a santa cruz heckler which has a raceface x type crank.The rest of the drivetrain is shimano xt.It has developed an annoying creak under heavy load when climing.I have tried tightening,lubing,adjusting nothing seems to cure it!!!! I have just replaced the bb which also has made no diference,the chain is also new.Could the rear mech cause a noise like this ??? Any ideas welcome
thanks
mark
My pivot always made a little noise on my Heckler.

·
boomer
888 Posts
Creaking on my '03 Heckler was coming from the dropout and others have mentioned there's doing it before too. Make sure and use the blue loc-tite when you reinstall; that seemed to cure mine.

·
Old man on a bike
12,384 Posts
Creaks can be elusive as you're discovering. Helps if you're specific about what you've tried already. I saw in your other post you've had the bike 8 months; while it's possible it's pivot creak, checking your seat post collar, seat rail clamps, derailleur hanger dropout, skewer tightness, chainring bolts, pedals, shock mount bolts....the list goes on...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
$50 says it's your dropout

I have a 2004/5 Heckler and had the same issue. I replaced the bottom bracket several times, cleaned everything greased and re-greased countless time. Removed the shock and swingarm 4-5 times. Cleaned and greased everything. All bolts perfect tightend to spec with a torque wrench. Then, I did what you have done and posted on here for suggestions. Several people said they had the same thing happen with their dropout. So, I took it off. Cleaned it and put a thin layer of grease on the surfaces where metal comes together. I also used blue loctite on the dropout bolts. The creaking is 95% gone. It raised its' head occasionally though but I am a 240lbs rider. So, I probably put more torque down on those pedals than lighter riders. Some people suggested getting the dropout alligned at a good Santa Cruz dealer. I never did this but it probably would not be a bad idea. I just don't like having to leave my bike anywhere for a few days waiting on them to get the job done.

·
CC
182 Posts
I went through this a couple times.

The first time my main pivot bearings were completely shot and since then it was always the dropout........just lube it up with some thickish grease, i use axle grease there.......will take the creak away.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions.I am going to try the dropout next it makes sense because it was replaced about 6 weeks ago.By the way what is the alan screw on the dropout for?

·
Baby-heads.... oh joy!
238 Posts
Another for the chainring. Check the chainring bolts, and also if the chainrings are worn. mine was making some serious noise, just ended up I needed new chain rings...small and middle..did the trick. Of course, there are the other areas as others have stated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts