Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
I have a santa cruz heckler which has a raceface x type crank.The rest of the drivetrain is shimano xt.It has developed an annoying creak under heavy load when climing.I have tried tightening,lubing,adjusting nothing seems to cure it!!!! I have just replaced the bb which also has made no diference,the chain is also new.Could the rear mech cause a noise like this ??? Any ideas welcome
thanks
mark

·
Registered
204 Posts
you need to pull off the rear swingarm and inspect the pivot bearings...exact same thing happened to a riding buddie's Heckler...he shattered a couple of the bearings in one of the pivots. (we also checked the BB, rings, cranks, pedals etc. first as that is what it sounded like). Easy fix.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that noises like that are rarely coming from where I think they are. It's wicked hard to "find" creaks. But, I agree that it's most likely in the pivots for Santa Cruzes. There're some excellent posts in the Santa Cruz forum about pivot/bearing maintenance.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Another thing to check is the cranks are bottomed out on the spindles. Even though Raceface says it's max. 50 ft./lbs., I've seen it take a lot more torque than that to achieve this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts