Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just looking for opinions or experiences. I have a 2013 Fuel EX8, it's awesome, really capable bike. However,

I swapped the stem out for a shorter one, its all tight and greased etc, since then, the bike has been really creaky, mainly when standing up pedaling but also when sat down. I can't believe its the stem.

Has anyone had a similar experience. Short of stripping it down and a rebuild I can't think whats wrong.

·
Registered
751 Posts
its the fox rear shock. the bottom bolt that attaches to the frame specifically. remove it, clean it, loctite it. should be gone forever. hopefully this is the problem you have, because i had it and it DROVE ME FREAKING INSANE trying to figure out what it was...

if you want to test it real quick just tighten that bolt up and see if the creak disappears. if it does, spend the 5-10 minutes doing what i said above. if it doesn't fix the creak, then i'm afraid you have other problems

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
No creak before changing the stem, now creaks after changing the stem? I'd pull the stem, recheck and clean all the mating surfaces, grease all the screws and torque properly. Could also be the tension set on your headset.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I had the same issue after changing the stem. Mine was not bad. Make sure you have the right tension on the headset and like said above grease bolts and make sure they are clean. Weird thing about sounds is they are hard to find exactly where they are coming from. I would also check the rear axle ABP nut on the left side of the bike. I have had 2 fuels and that nut has come loose on both and caused creaking sounds.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a creaking sound that's making me nuts too. It's coming from the rear somewhere. I've removed the EVO bolts and cleaned them. Nothing fixed. I need to try that bottom bolt on the shock and the left side nut on the ABP. Anyone know the size of that nut?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a torque wrench, perhaps I should invest. I just tighten them up, but not super tight. I must admit, I haven't tried putting the old stem on to see if that eliminates the noise.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My latest creak is yet again from the fork lowers. Sending it to fox AGAIN. They better replace it this time..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Loose non-drive side bottom bracket bearing on my 2014 Fuel Ex 9.7. Supposed to be press fit but the bearing can be easily taken off with fingers. Still creaking after trip to the LBS who said that the bearing not tightly fit to the BB shell is just normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right, so have tightened everything. Turned out there were a number of lost bolts including the top of my fork on the right stanction, chain ring bolts and even the abp bolt.

Bike is creaking at the front end definitely, especially when braking. Just changed my pads. Any other ideas?

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
It's the headset. Pull the fork. Remove the crown race and clean grunge from under it. Check headset bearings. It they're cartridge bearings, you may choose to carefully remove the seals and not damage them, degrease, then regrease, and replace the seals. Be careful when setting preload on the headset.

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
That would be the tension that you impart by snugging the steering stem cap prior to cinching down the stem. You need to tension it just enough so there's no play in the headset but not so tight that it can bind. There's no torque spec for this. It's sort of trial and error.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts