Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 65 miles on my goblin. It was developed a squeak or creak about 50% of the time on my peddle stroke. Any ideas if I need to add grease already or could be it another problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
+1 Coxino - and since it is new, I would recommend giving your bike a good once-over making sure everything is nice and snug since you are going through break-in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Strange as it sounds, the seat post and clamp thing is highly likely. Also check to see if it's your pedals making the creak. My noise ended up being my pedals needing grease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had similar issues with my hooligan HT. It has an eccentric BB so I went straight to blaming that at first, then realized my Thomson post doesn't always agree with the seat tube. I take it off once a month or so now, wipe it off nice and clean, then put a light coat of Phil Wood on the clamp threads and it won't make a peep for another 30 days of reasonably hard riding.

...In short, aluminum has odd ventriloquism tendencies.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will check the seat post when I get home tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I agree with guys that are saying to check the seat post.

Also, check the rear hub/skewer.

I had a severe creak last time I rode. I took the rear wheel off and realized there was "play" in the hub. Tightened the hub up and made sure the quick release was plenty tight when I put the wheel back on.

Problem resolved.

Also, make sure the derailleur hanger is tight where it attaches to the frame. You might even add some grease there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Crazy, as mine sounds like its popping. Just pulledlast week and everything looked fine. Im wondering if I got it all linedup right? Let me know what you find

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Crazy, as mine sounds like its popping. Just pulledlast week and everything looked fine. Im wondering if I got it all linedup right? Let me know what you find
BB's do wear out, so that could be it. Other issues could be a worn chain and/or worn gears. Riding in sandy conditions does accelerate wear on a lot of drivetrain parts.

I have about 65 miles on my goblin. It was developed a squeak or creak about 50% of the time on my peddle stroke. Any ideas if I need to add grease already or could be it another problem.
As others have stated, there are a lot of little things to check.

1. Pedals (check for tightness and grease)
2. Cleats (check for tightness)
3. BB (check for tightness)
4. Seatpost/seatpost clamp (check for tightness, consider greasing)
5. Chainring bolts (check for tightness)

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yep did all that! I think Jeremy is right I think its just worn out! Any suggestions on BB brands? Or just get same one? Heard the e13 had a good one! Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yep did all that! I think Jeremy is right I think its just worn out! Any suggestions on BB brands? Or just get same one? Heard the e13 had a good one! Thanks guys
The SRAM PressfitGXP BB (the one in your bike) is fairly cheap and works well, so you can't go wrong with using the same as a replacement. Alternatively, a BB92 from Shimano also is the same standard and works fine.

I don't have any first-hand experience with e13 BB's so I'm not able to speak to them. I do like most of the stuff e13 puts out so they're probably OK.

To remove the old BB and install the new on your HobGoblin, you'll need the following Park Tool set:

Park Tool Co. » BBT-90.3 : PressFit Bottom Bracket Bearing Tool Set : Bottom Bracket

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Jeremy

·
Registered
520 Posts
The SRAM PressfitGXP BB (the one in your bike) is fairly cheap and works well, so you can't go wrong with using the same as a replacement. Alternatively, a BB92 from Shimano also is the same standard and works fine.

I don't have any first-hand experience with e13 BB's so I'm not able to speak to them. I do like most of the stuff e13 puts out so they're probably OK.

To remove the old BB and install the new on your HobGoblin, you'll need the following Park Tool set:

Park Tool Co. » BBT-90.3 : PressFit Bottom Bracket Bearing Tool Set : Bottom Bracket

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Jeremy

Thank Jeremy

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mitch, did you take the seals off the BB bearings and repack them with grease?
was making the noise so I rode it in the parking lot of my LBS and found the noise was coming from the rear end. Turns out the rear hub was making the noise. Torqued it down a little more and noise went away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts