Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zion 737 that I have been riding for a couple of years with different configurations. During standing climbs, it creaks pretty loudly from the BB area. I have tried different pedals, cranks, BB, headset, and wheels, but the creak remains:mad: I have greased the eccentric also with no luck? Any ideas?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
mwarner57 said:
I have a Zion 737 that I have been riding for a couple of years with different configurations. During standing climbs, it creaks pretty loudly from the BB area. I have tried different pedals, cranks, BB, headset, and wheels, but the creak remains:mad: I have greased the eccentric also with no luck? Any ideas?
What kind of EBB does your Zion frame employ?

Split shell / pinch bolt?
Internal expanding?
Other?

--sParty

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
mwarner57 said:
Not sure what you call it, but there are two bolts on the bottom of the BB shell that press into the eccentric and keep it from rotating.
That's a set screw EBB.

I'm sorry, I don't have any direct experience with that type of EBB. Other than the standard tactic of applying a liberal amount of grease between the eccentric and the shell, I don't know what else to say.

It's too bad the frame manufacturer mounted the set screws on the bottom of the shell. The should have installed them either on top of the shell (on either side of the ST/DT junction) or on the front of the shell. The reason being, the way they are situated now, you're standing on the set screws instead of the BB shell itself whenever you're applying power to the cranks.

You might try greasing the heck out of the set screw threads, too.

Best of luck.

--sParty

·
openwound
580 Posts
I have a singular swift that uses the same style ebb. Though I don't know where he got his info, CB2 has posted that the swift's ebb bolts should only be tightened to (I think...) 5nm. Perhaps once you've cleaned it and re-installed you might also try less pressure on the bolts. The swift uses a Phil Wood insert. Mine's been fairly quiet but I do occasionally get a creak or two.

I have read in other creaky ebb threads that folks use plumber's putty and teflon tape to try to mitigate particularly noisy units. I have some putty but have yet to try it. I'm not quite sure how you'd get teflon tape to stay in place...so there's that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
those Zion EBB's fit a bit loose in the shell which is a tad too big...

wrap the EBB with a single layer of duct tape (so that it fits tighter), then reinsert and tighten down.

A Bushnell will work also and give you more "throw" as well.... I used one with my Zion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmw said:
those Zion EBB's fit a bit loose in the shell which is a tad too big...

wrap the EBB with a single layer of duct tape (so that it fits tighter), then reinsert and tighten down.

A Bushnell will work also and give you more "throw" as well.... I used one with my Zion.
It always comes down to duct tape, doesn't it:thumbsup: I wonder if a beer-can shim would fit? Stay tuned...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest update. I ordered a Carver eccentric, which did not fix the creaking, although it did allow me to get rid of my half-link:thumbsup: Swapped out the back wheel from my geared bike. Still no luck. Finally swapped out my square-taper cranks for some external bearing ones, and voila!, no more creaking. I had previously swapped the BB and cranks with another set of square-tapers with no luck. I guess there is a reason that technology has gone away... Gonna miss those Race Face cranks, though.

Now the bad news. Even after tightening, the new eccentric is sliding out of the BB shell when I ride. Since it has a nylon sleeve, I can't use the original set screws to keep it in place. Any ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to make a beer-can shim going around the entire circumference of the EBB. It slid in pretty easily, which leads me to believe that JMW is correct about the shell being too big. Also tightened the old set screws just a tad (the Carver has a nylon sleeve, so didn't want to gauge it). Finally, no slippage and no creaking.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.