Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow clydesmen -

<BEGIN RANT>
For the past few weeks, I've had boku problems with my ride... First the ticking/creaking. After 3 visits to my LBS, they've pulled relubed even locktighted my bottom bracket. All 3 techs can almost guarantee that it's not my drive train making the noise. They suggested that it's the headset/steertube. But before I get into that, let's rewind. Long story short, I had 2 gary fisher paragons, broke both of them. Fisher gave me a $300 towards the frame, so I went and bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon, and build it up using the components from the 2000 paragon. So, the fork was reusuable, but the steer tube was a little short. It's only covers ~1/2 - 3/4 of the stem, so the top bolt on the stem really doesn't clamp to anything. I never really had a problems with it before, but they were suggesting that the first thing to do would be to upgrade the fork... If i'm going to spend $400 on a new fork I'd reather buy a rigid, and put the extra $$$ towards a full suspention

Oh, and they also noticed that my 2 mo. old Paul WORD hub is bent - actually, the axle is bent... This is extreamly furstrating... I almost feel like getting a damn downhill bike and ride that... I'm just doing regular XC - no drops, no free ride... At 6' 2" 230 lbs - I'm at the lower end of the Clydesdale scale!

<END RANT>

Objectivly, my drivetrain is about 3 years old - about 1500 miles/yr and my fork is original. The LBS says that everything looks ok, but still, I have this nagging feeling that everything is just plain worn out. They didn't think that putting a new drivetrain in would fix the problem either...

-=Very Grumpy=-
mm

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
At 1500 miles I'm almost done with my second chain and cassette, but if its clicking indeed it can be the headset/stem spot if your steerer a bit short that will not help. Try re-preloading your headset a bit more before tightening the stem bolts. As for your bent axle, well its a hard tail, I've completely broken solid 8mm axles on a HT. Its the problem of been big. A FS frame will take care of that but transfer the load onto the bearings so if you do go FS look for a stout frame with oversized bearings. Cambribike.com still has some Panteras left at 850, that might be a nice frame for your size since they are overbuilt and well supported. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
replace the axle and rebuild the hub

martinman said:
Fellow clydesmen -

<BEGIN RANT>
For the past few weeks, I've had boku problems with my ride... First the ticking/creaking. After 3 visits to my LBS, they've pulled relubed even locktighted my bottom bracket. All 3 techs can almost guarantee that it's not my drive train making the noise. They suggested that it's the headset/steertube. But before I get into that, let's rewind. Long story short, I had 2 gary fisher paragons, broke both of them. Fisher gave me a $300 towards the frame, so I went and bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon, and build it up using the components from the 2000 paragon. So, the fork was reusuable, but the steer tube was a little short. It's only covers ~1/2 - 3/4 of the stem, so the top bolt on the stem really doesn't clamp to anything. I never really had a problems with it before, but they were suggesting that the first thing to do would be to upgrade the fork... If i'm going to spend $400 on a new fork I'd reather buy a rigid, and put the extra $$$ towards a full suspention

Oh, and they also noticed that my 2 mo. old Paul WORD hub is bent - actually, the axle is bent... This is extreamly furstrating... I almost feel like getting a damn downhill bike and ride that... I'm just doing regular XC - no drops, no free ride... At 6' 2" 230 lbs - I'm at the lower end of the Clydesdale scale!

<END RANT>

Objectivly, my drivetrain is about 3 years old - about 1500 miles/yr and my fork is original. The LBS says that everything looks ok, but still, I have this nagging feeling that everything is just plain worn out. They didn't think that putting a new drivetrain in would fix the problem either...

-=Very Grumpy=-
mm
i bet you get another 1500 miles out of it..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm happy to report that the clicking - the noise that's been driving me nuts for the past 4 weeks is gone.......

It was the chainring....

It's strange because I pulled it several times, greased all contact points, bolts, etc. Used loctite on some installations, overtightened bolts (and stripped them) from overtightenting on a few installations..

*sigh*.. When I converted to single speed 4 weeks ago, I moved the middle chainring from the inside of the spider to the outside to get a better chainline (where the big 42t one goes). I moved it back to the inside - viola - no more ticking or creaking... TOTALLY SILENT.

Can you believe this???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.