Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, my 5 Spot, not another "spot."

Anyhow, my new Spot has only 4 rides on it, no water or mud, and already its creaking. Do I need to inject grease in the bushings already? Seems a bit early to need grease.

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the frame and not a part? I had a similar issue once and I swore that the frame was creaking, but it turned out that it was a rail from my saddle.

That being said, if you are sure it's the frame I would call Turner. I am far from an expert but I wouldn't expect the bushings to need any grease now seeing how new the frame is.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Where's it creaking? That's a tricky question sometimes but ya gotta track it down. Do you get it in the saddle, out of the saddle, with weight on the cranks...? If you can't localize it on the bike try getting off and seeing if you can find it by pushing down on the seat (maybe drop the shock pressure). I would doubt it's the bushings. It's more likely a new part or a little glitch with installation as Locotiki found out with his seat. I've also had squeaking from cable stops that have sounded like the rear suspension.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The pivots really never creak. You have hundreds of other metal on metal contacts on the bike and ANY of them could creak. Do a search of this board for "creak" and you will find all the troubleshooting advice you need. This has been covered many times, exhaustively.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
tscheezy said:
The pivots really never creak. You have hundreds of other metal on metal contacts on the bike and ANY of them could creak. Do a search of this board for "creak" and you will find all the troubleshooting advice you need. This has been covered many times, exhaustively.
Hey, he didn't ask if he should replace his fork.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
tscheezy said:
Agree with Cheese. I've had all kinds of creaks and squeaks (my bike has, too:D ), and it was never the pivots. The top hitters (in order of frequency of issues) for squeaks on my Spot are:

1) Rear wheel quick release
2) Seatpost clamp
3) Rear wheel quick release
4) Cable ferrules
5) Bottom Bracket
6) Rear wheel quick release

I always suspected the suspension first.... took it apart... examined... greased... creak still there... NOT THE PIVOTS

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Uhhhh

tscheezy said:
I disagree. I've definitely had the rear drive side HL creak as well as the main pivot. The main pivot was due to wear however and shouldn't happen on a new bike. The rear HL pivot needed more TLC in terms of lubing and tightening to stay creak free.

Dave

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that's cool with all the quick replies to my post. You are boys are "spot" on!

I know how bikes can creak like crazy and can trick folks out as to where its coming from. I've isolated it to either the cranks or BB or the main pivots. It only creaks when I am pedaling both seated and standing. My cranks are the XT Hollowtechs. I'll have to go in there and add a spot of grease to be sure.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
If you think it may be the pivot, try removing the top shock bolt, swing the shock down out of the way, and slowy move the bike thorugh it's travel. That might help spot the problem there. While you're at it add some more grease in all the pivots.

I was certain several times that I had a sqeak/creak in the pivots only to find the noise came from something else entirely. You'd be amazed what can make noises...well, if you checked the thread Airwreck linked, you already know.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue Shorts said:
My money is on the rear QR. Good luck!!!!!!
In my 18 yrs of mtn biking, I've never, never had a QR come loose. Well, today was the first! I was shocked. I don't know yet if this was the source of the creaking, but Blue Shorts here gets the money for at least guessing it might be loose.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just rode my Spot today, and guess what? No more creak. So, it was the QR! I can't believe it. I would have never suspected that.

Praises to BlueShorts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.