Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did the aligning of the shim, tightening QR etc. I then did a good bit of in saddle riding and the creak was bad, the MOMENT I put any wiegh ont he seat it would creak, so I got off and flexed things etc, it is DEFINITELY the seat/seatrails that are creaking, GRRRR. Is that somethin I could go back to the shop with and get a replacement? I know it seems lame, but listening to it creak all day olong is VERY annoying when I just dropped $1400 on the bike less than 2 months ago and the bike has maybe 150miles on it..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 04 VT2 :mad: , after greasing the post, shim, frame, collar, bolt, nut and QR lever... :confused: it still creaks, only about 150 miles on my VT too. I'm going to grease the rails and seat mounting hardware next, just in case. My bike has a free service due in a couple of weeks with my lbs and I'm going to raise it then if it hasn't stopped, could always be a settling in thing, but I doubt it. Dunno if its covered by the Giant warranty, but if you don't ask you don't get.

Although I've got to say, great bike, great ride other than the creak and the fact that my hayes front brake reservoir lost all its fluid, leaving me with zero front brake on a decent, no harm done. A faulty reservoir was to blame, my lbs has already fixed this under warranty, replacing the bladder and lid with redeisigned parts, not the first one they'd seen fail ... :eek:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I replaced the stock [squeeky] seatpost/shim junk with a Thom.son and WTB stealth seat at the LBS when purchasing.

Never had a problem, never heard a single 'squeek' since new.

..Way to go, mate.. :)

R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I considered trying to get my LBS to change out the post for a th..ompson 30.8 when I was looking for the bike a few weeks ago. But they had the VT on sale £200 off UK rrp (absolutly unheard of at this time of year) and I got them to change the tyres for free to W..T.B 2.1 Veloc.raptor's (IMO not gr8 but best they had, would have preferred 2.1 Pana..racer Fire XC's), plus got some great discounts on accessories.
Felt as if I was about to deprive food out of the mouth of the guys first born if I continued to haggle, plus he was a decent guy and I didn't want to pizz him off too much.

Been lurking for a little while and knew the seat post could be a problem along with the tyres.... BTW Rainman, big thanks for your posts :D , big factor in me deciding to buy the VT and getting the setup just right + there's a VT2 long term test in a current UK MTB mag. scoring 10/10. They noted some other problems 'water ingress in to hubs' not something I guess you guys would suffer from though, hummm even more grease.. :rolleyes: ... but bottom line gr8 bike and thanks..... :D

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Not a problem, mate...glad to be of some help to ya.. :)

I love my VT, she's a great bike.

R.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Get rid of the shim and stock seat post and put in a 30.8 or 30.9 Thomson. Post lenght will be based on your frame size but always remember to leave some extra post for frame strenght.

I went the 30.9/367 way and so far no creaking.

My .02

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found a cure for the VT creak

Finally got rid of my annoying creaking post / seat problem and I didn't replace a thing :) .

My problem was definitely the saddle (but the sound resonated through the frame and at one point I almost thought it could have been spoke tension :confused: ). After applying much grease (originally lithium) to all suspect components and tightening down everything in sight, the problem just refused to go away. It might be ok for a few minutes or hours but kept comming back...

My solution was to change the grease I used from lithium to 'copper grease', not a creak or a squeak in more the 300miles of all weather riding

Make sure you grease everything though, including the seat rails, clamp, bolt thread, bolt head, washer, shim, post and post clamp. I now don't need to worry about shim alignment, can back off the post clamp tension etc and am free just to enjoy the ride (creak free).... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts