Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Ripley last November and the weather just got nice enough to get out and ride. I love the Ripley but like a lot of other people it has a lot of creaks and noises. Are the creaks just noise and nothing to worry about? I don't really care if my bike is noisy. Most of the time I am concentrating on the trail ahead of me and just figure noises come with the territory. Just want to make sure that having creaks isn't something mechanical I need to worry about? Can it cause any damage or wear and tear? The noises I am hearing are coming from the headtube area and shock pivot area. I know the bike has the added sleeve protection on the steerer tube because when my LBS put it together they told me they installed it.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Creaking is usually due to an under lubed junction or under tightened bolt. Both of which will cause damage, wear, and tear over time. Depending on what is creaking, the amount of time before damage is done will vary. Any noise from the headtube area or pivots always gets my full attention.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creaking is usually due to an under lubed junction or under tightened bolt. Both of which will cause damage, wear, and tear over time. Depending on what is creaking, the amount of time before damage is done will vary. Any noise from the headtube area or pivots always gets my full attention.
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll get it up to a mechanic and have them give it a once over to make sure everything is up to snuff.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I bought a Ripley last November and the weather just got nice enough to get out and ride. I love the Ripley but like a lot of other people it has a lot of creaks and noises. Are the creaks just noise and nothing to worry about? I don't really care if my bike is noisy. Most of the time I am concentrating on the trail ahead of me and just figure noises come with the territory. Just want to make sure that having creaks isn't something mechanical I need to worry about? Can it cause any damage or wear and tear? The noises I am hearing are coming from the headtube area and shock pivot area. I know the bike has the added sleeve protection on the steerer tube because when my LBS put it together they told me they installed it.

Thanks,

Chuck
The noise coming from the head tube area, is it like a click? Is your fork a Fox fork? I had creaking from the rear shock area, and clicks from the fork/head tube area. I isolated the clicks in the head tube to be coming from the fork. It is a common problem with Fox forks, and apparently they will replace the forks under warranty (according to my local shop). I just ran slow wicking loctite around the stanchion/crown and steerer/crown junctions (with the bike inverted) and left it that way for two days. That seems to have eliminated the fork clicks.

For the rear shock creaks, I removed the rear shock and greased the shock pivot shaft at both junctions, and then reassembled according to the ibis manual. That so far has eliminated the rear shock creaks.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The noise coming from the head tube area, is it like a click? Is your fork a Fox fork? I had creaking from the rear shock area, and clicks from the fork/head tube area. I isolated the clicks in the head tube to be coming from the fork. It is a common problem with Fox forks, and apparently they will replace the forks under warranty (according to my local shop). I just ran slow wicking loctite around the stanchion/crown and steerer/crown junctions (with the bike inverted) and left it that way for two days. That seems to have eliminated the fork clicks.

For the rear shock creaks, I removed the rear shock and greased the shock pivot shaft at both junctions, and then reassembled according to the ibis manual. That so far has eliminated the rear shock creaks.
Mcam, do you have any more info on the Fox fork issue/replacement? I've been getting some clicking from the front of my Ripley with a Fox Float 120 on it; I'd assumed this was stem/bar/headset related and was about to work on isolating it, but I'd be curious what the deal is with a possible fork defect.

To the OP, a couple things. The shock mounts are a common cause of noise; removing the shock and lubing both ends may help. There is also the "yolk isolator" trick of installing some teflon tape (I actually used Stan's yellow tape) around the clevis end of the shock. See this vid for more info on finding and eliminating creaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNebDTwadd8

If you're just getting some isolated creaks and pops these things will probably fix it. If you have louder or more consistent creaking when you cycle the suspension (try cycling it with the shock removed) you could contact Ibis. I had an issue like this and they sent me a new rear swing arm; they said some of the early ones could have had issues with the swing arm bearings being very slightly misaligned.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Called Todd about 6 times today to try and trouble shoot. Can't isolate it. It isn't the cables or the shock because I unscrewed the shock and still got the noise. It might be the cranks or BB. I am taking it to my LBS and will let a real mechanic see if they can figure it out. Here is a link to a video of the creaking:

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Wow, that's amazing!

I'm pretty sure we could diagnose that quickly here in the shop, but it's tough long distance. I'm sure it will be something pretty straightforward. Once the shop has a look at it, we'll get it sorted asap if it's anything more than a component.

H

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's amazing!

I'm pretty sure we could diagnose that quickly here in the shop, but it's tough long distance. I'm sure it will be something pretty straightforward. Once the shop has a look at it, we'll get it sorted asap if it's anything more than a component.

H
Yeah I'm not to concerned. Once it gets figured out I told Todd I would email him with the verdict in case anybody else has the same problem. Yeah it is totally annoying when you are on a technical climb and completely out of gas and have to hear that. Being as out of shape as I am makes it that much worse.;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mcam, do you have any more info on the Fox fork issue/replacement? I've been getting some clicking from the front of my Ripley with a Fox Float 120 on it; I'd assumed this was stem/bar/headset related and was about to work on isolating it, but I'd be curious what the deal is with a possible fork defect.

To the OP, a couple things. The shock mounts are a common cause of noise; removing the shock and lubing both ends may help. There is also the "yolk isolator" trick of installing some teflon tape (I actually used Stan's yellow tape) around the clevis end of the shock. See this vid for more info on finding and eliminating creaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNebDTwadd8

If you're just getting some isolated creaks and pops these things will probably fix it. If you have louder or more consistent creaking when you cycle the suspension (try cycling it with the shock removed) you could contact Ibis. I had an issue like this and they sent me a new rear swing arm; they said some of the early ones could have had issues with the swing arm bearings being very slightly misaligned.
I don't have any other info re: forks other than the best bet would be to contact the shop you bought the bike/forks from. I was told about the warranty by the shop I got my Ripley from.
There are a few threads about regarding the creaking Fox forks. It seems to be a common problem.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I isolated the clicks in the head tube to be coming from the fork. It is a common problem with Fox forks, and apparently they will replace the forks under warranty (according to my local shop). I just ran slow wicking loctite around the stanchion/crown and steerer/crown junctions (with the bike inverted) and left it that way for two days. That seems to have eliminated the fork clicks.
My HDR has the same (i think) clicking coming from the head tube area. I thought it was the headset, but now you've got me wondering if it's not the fork. Could you please tell me what loctite product you used?

·
Registered
254 Posts
My HDR has the same (i think) clicking coming from the head tube area. I thought it was the headset, but now you've got me wondering if it's not the fork. Could you please tell me what loctite product you used?
I used Loctite 609. It seems to have worked so far. I shouldn't have to do it, but it was going to be two or three weeks where I had no fork = no bike, so this was the best fix for me at the time. The bike shop told me applying the Loctite doesn't void any Fox warranty, as he check with Fox.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts