Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i have this horrible creaking noise that happens everytime i stop. It also makes the same noise when i compress the front 2001 z1 mcr shock while holding onto the hayes brake, but it doesnt creak when i just compress it. i tighten everything, as well as lube everything. I just changed my headset to a cane creek s6 today, and i got the fork from ebay recently. So today was my first time putting everything back together and it created this creaking noise. It is so annoying, i been trying to solve it for the whole day!! So please give me some pointer. Thank you

I dont remember having that noise before installing the cane creek headset, but i cant think of any reason why a new headset will create such creaking noise.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
jyguy915 said:
Hi, i have this horrible creaking noise that happens everytime i stop. It also makes the same noise when i compress the front 2001 z1 mcr shock while holding onto the hayes brake, but it doesnt creak when i just compress it. i tighten everything, as well as lube everything. I just changed my headset to a cane creek s6 today, and i got the fork from ebay recently. So today was my first time putting everything back together and it created this creaking noise. It is so annoying, i been trying to solve it for the whole day!! So please give me some pointer. Thank you

I dont remember having that noise before installing the cane creek headset, but i cant think of any reason why a new headset will create such creaking noise.
It just sounds like your brakes creaking. Grab the break lever tighter when you compress the fork...it should stop

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also had a creaking noise after replacing my rs judy with a zocchi exr and instaling a new headset and stem. I did it myself by the old wood and mallet approach for the headset. I found that my headset wasnt packed/pressed tight enough. after i had my buddy use his headset press it was all fixed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know this creaking noise too well

I have owned four Marzocchi's since 2000, A Z3 80mm 2000 model, Z2 Atom 80 2000 model, and Z3 QR20 2001 model and a Z1 QR20 2004 model. All these models have been with the cryofit crown, and I bet you anything that is where your creaking is coming from, as this has occurred in all of mine. I'm sure it is not coming from your headset or anywhere else.

As i live in Australia it has been very frustrating, in the past I would send the fork away through my LBS, but since things are so slow here it would take 2-3 months before getting my fork back. The first time i noticed the creaking, I and my LBS figured out it was coming from where the stanchions are inserted into the crown. Marzocchi warrantied it and I got a very good deal on the Z2 Atom 80. I thought after a few years they may have figured out the creaking, and retired my tired old Z3 QR20 for a 2004 model Z1 QR20. Sure enough after 2 months the creaking occured in the new Z1, it's always seems to occur when breaking hard on using the front brake.

I just live with the noise as I'm not concerned of the stanchions coming loose from the crown. I'm sure very fine dust particles, etc. is getting it's way in there. So just live with it, or you can take a look at the Marzocchi website. They do mention the creaking and did have a deal for replacing forks. So it may be an option? if you are concerned about the creaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.