Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have about 100 miles on my new bike (Ripmo) and I had some creaking/clicking that I've been slowly resolving, except one that I can't figure out. I fixed the low gear creaking with b-tension adjustment and greasing/torquing the BB and I fixed the braking creaking by greasing/torquing the upper shock eyelet bolt.

However, I can't figure out what's causing a creaking/clicking in ONLY the 4th smallest cog. The derailleur hangar is perfectly straight according to the Park tool and there are no visible defects in that cog. What else could it be?

edit: SRAM Eagle GX cassette, X01 shifter, and X01 chain, not sure any other parts matter

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Does it happen only under power or just when rotating without power. Shift it into that cog and slowly rotate the crank. Watch the chain as it goes through the pulleys and around the cog. Can you see the chain catching or otherwise moving when it clicks?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
some SRAM cassettes are known to creak. it's the cassette itself methinks

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=sram+cassette+creak

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does it happen only under power or just when rotating without power. Shift it into that cog and slowly rotate the crank. Watch the chain as it goes through the pulleys and around the cog. Can you see the chain catching or otherwise moving when it clicks?
I think even pedaling backwards in the stand it'll do it. I'll try again.

some SRAM cassettes are known to creak. it's the cassette itself methinks

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=sram+cassette+creak
Kind of unacceptable for a $200 cassette don't you think? I had X01 (non-eagle) on my last bike that was silent, maybe it's just a GX thing.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Backward doesn't really matter. There's nothing guiding the chain onto the cog when pedaling backward so it may click in some gears and will usually drop to a higher cog if in the lowest gear.
I see. I haven't tried forward in a stand yet but I did try backward when the bike was in the rack the last time I rode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.