Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Heckler has developed a creaking noise coming from somewhere. It happens when Im putting some serious torque through the pedals. At first I thought it was the seatpost, but it happens when standing as well. It doesnt happen when Im not pedalling, so I don't think its coming from the frame or suspension.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just bought a brand new 07 nomad and am having the same problem. I thought that it was coming from my saint crank which is also new, but Im not sure. If I dont pedal and stand on the bike and push into it working the suspension it does not creak, but when I pedal with force it creaks like theres no tomorrow. Nor does it creak when Im sitting down and lightly pedaling. Does anyone know that this could be?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2007 Heckler. I checked up all points of my bike to define what was the cause of that noise. Finally i identified the noise coming from the part of the swingarm where there are pinchbolts. I took the propack with new ballbearings and changed ballbearings and also the pivot and pinchbolts, before tighten the swingarm on pivot i greased all the parts with Rock'nRoll Super coat gease, i spread blue loctite on pinchbolts and tightened with a dynamometric key at 120in/lbs. Now it stopped to be noise but i hope it 'll continue on this way. Another cause of this noise can be the not well greased bottom bracket. But this is another story.......

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same problem as well. I searched and searched the frame until I finally found out it wasn't the frame at all. It turned out to be the rails on the saddle. Squirted some WD40 on the rails and it hasn't made a sound since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same thing.Heckler .5 Just last night it got to the point where I could not live with it anymore, came back from ride at midnight dismantled pivot. removed all bolts, greased everything and went for test ride on uphill section. Mashed on the pedals, no creak other than the chain on my FD and old cogs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
check your BB's for tightness/lubing issues. A more far fetched case scenario is your headset may need re-facing- the headset may not be inserted in properly so gathers muck and creaks. Same applies for your pivot.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If it squeaks when you just push down on the saddle, check pivots, saddle, or shock. That doesn't sound like what is wrong with yours, so......

Take the chain off and see if the cranks spin free and and easy. If it is grinding or rough, check bottom bracket. Otherwise....

Sit on your bike, squeeze both brakes so you don't move, then press on the cranks to test for on-power creaks. Basically you apply enough force to your cranks to cause a creak, and have a friend listen/feel for where the creak is coming from. Could be pedals, swingarm, derailleur hanger, or dropouts. Just have a friend help locate the sound because it is impossible for you to locate it while standing/sitting on the bike.

If I had to guess, I'd say check your derailleur hanger because that's usually where my creaking comes from on my Heckler. After I grease it, no more creaking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Pivot Pinchbolts

Agree with above recommendation about the pinchbolts...

I had my drive side pinchbolt head shear clean off earlier - another story, but...

that was where I had problems - replaced the bolt; tightened the other side - no more creak...

best of luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
07 1/2 Heckler, had a creaking drive side bolt that striped out the swingarm and am currently waiting to hear back from SC. I just had the bike serviced so there is no way that in three or so rides this could happen.
Has any one had good/bad luck with service? I love this bike and will be upset if a bolt/frame failure wastes a 5g plus built bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This similar issue has come up quite a bit on this forum,and it's awesome how quickly you guys as riders pin point and fix these little problems.I to was a creak victim,and thanks to guys and girls on this forum,were able to correct and keep roll'in.Thanks to all,and keep hammering.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Pricey184- I just got back from Downieville, and tried to find the creak that was driving everyone insane on the climb. Discovered that the drive side pinch bolt had pulled out of the threads! Totally stripped! I put in a longer bolt from my huge collection of miscellaneous parts, (The ones my wife keeps trying to throw away!) and it seems to help. The stock bolts are pretty short. Im calling Santa Cruz but Im leaving on a Utah trip in a few days so I probably wont have time to deal with it for now. I would love to hear how they help you(hopefully). BTW, I have an 07& half Heckler

·
Registered
10 Posts
same same

I had/have the same issue on my 07. i took the seat off, post and all and rode the bike,
no noise. I have a Books saddle and adjusted the seat tension and so far so good. I have also had issues with the swing arm bolts coming loose, maybe time for a rebuild as well.
at any rate what a great bike, a magic bike. I put it on the scale yesterday and on of us needs to loose some weight!

·
Registered
12 Posts
SDB, Just got my Heckler back together. I had to pay shipping for a new swing arm, however, all in all, I am pretty happy with that.
But after riding a Spec Epic, I feel better on that than a single pivot. Perhaps the Heckler will be sold soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.