Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Race Face Next LP Cranks (has the carbon fiber insets) and I'm pretty sure that is where my "creak" is coming from. The cranks are 4 yrs old now and it creaks when pedalling hard on uphills. A friend, used to be a mechanic at the local lbs, has gone completely thru my bike....cassettes, bottom bracket (even retapped the bottom bracket), bolts, etc. Does anybody else have these cranks with this problem??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Advice on bike parts!

I have a Santa Cruz Heckler that I bought in March 2003, actually I had a Superlight that I traded in at my LBS for the Heckler and transferred parts. When I switched frames I changed a few things like wheelset, stem and seatpost. My rear hub needs replacing after this year for sure and I was also going to change my cranks and fork. I know which fork I want, either a 2004 Talas RLC or a 2005 Talas RLC. The hubs and cranks I'm not sure what to get and this is where I need some recommendations since there are so many options!

-Cranks (currently have Race Face Next LP) and I'm looking at the following: Race Face Diabolus, Race Face Turbine LP, Truvativ Holzfeller, Race Face Atlas

-Hubs: thinking about Chris King or White Industries

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Same problem

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem I have a brand new bottom bracket but an older set of Next LP cranks which creak, especially when pedaling forcefully uphill.

I've installed everything by Race Face's directions, including applying anti-seize and torquing to the suggested values.

I was wondering if you've found a solution yet. The bottom bracket instructions say that if creaking appears in the future, remove the cranks and relube the spindle.

Have you tried that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
precar said:
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem I have a brand new bottom bracket but an older set of Next LP cranks which creak, especially when pedaling forcefully uphill.

I've installed everything by Race Face's directions, including applying anti-seize and torquing to the suggested values.

I was wondering if you've found a solution yet. The bottom bracket instructions say that if creaking appears in the future, remove the cranks and relube the spindle.

Have you tried that?
Yes, and everything else! My buddy, used to the mechanic at the local shop, also took out my bottom bracket and re-tapped it. He has had my bike apart 3 times now eleminating any other possibilities for the creak, 99% positive it the cranks creaking from the carbon fiber! I will probably get my bike shop to call Race Face and see what they can do on a deal for a different set of cranks....maybe the Atlas or Turbine cranks (NO CARBON FIBER)!

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Loc-Tite

Super Uke said:
Yes, and everything else! My buddy, used to the mechanic at the local shop, also took out my bottom bracket and re-tapped it. He has had my bike apart 3 times now eleminating any other possibilities for the creak, 99% positive it the cranks creaking from the carbon fiber! I will probably get my bike shop to call Race Face and see what they can do on a deal for a different set of cranks....maybe the Atlas or Turbine cranks (NO CARBON FIBER)!
I had creaky cranks and it kept driving me nuts. And I absoluetly HATED the idea of contantly having to tighten. So I took a rubber mallet and a LONG handled allen wrench to the nuts. I cranked down on those SOBs as HARD AS I COULD!!!!! I also SLATHERED the bolts in blue loc-tite. Guess what, I don't have any creaking anymore ;-)

BTW, I had previously killed nice Diamondback tool trying to tighten those things on the trail. I put enough tension on the tool to snap a steel allen wrench. Thats NOT ENOUGH TORQUE!!!! It needs more!!!!!

Methinks the bike shop boys may go light on the torque in case they have to take those cranks off again. The bottom line is that my cranks no longer make a single peep. And I don't ever touch the SOBs or wonder whether they're "TIGHT" on that particular day. That's like having to check the lug nuts on your car every time you take a ride. You shouldn't have to do it!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like you have the exact same problem as I did! I also have an '03 Heckler and I could have sworn the BB or cranks set was creaking. It wasn't. It was the massive rear drop-out. This thing wasn't properly seated so the set-screws dug into the frame and pivoted slightly under load. Make sure the drop-out is properly seated against the frame while tightening the drop-out bolts. Ensure your rear derailleur isn't under tension from the chain as it tends to misalign your dropout while tightening. And make sure the rear rim is centered between the seatstays and in-line with the seat-tube using those set-screws. Use blue loc-tite on those drop-out bolts. You don't have to go bananas on torque. I upped the torque from Santa Cruz's 80 lb-in. recommendation to 90 lb-in. and I haven't heard a single creak since. They've been up all sorts of climbs and downhilling for two days at Bromont bike park. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Super,

I'm having the same problem with my LPs, have eleminated everything else. Did you ever find a solution - was it the cranks?

Cheers.

SSSS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
52-16SS said:
Hey Super,

I'm having the same problem with my LPs, have eleminated everything else. Did you ever find a solution - was it the cranks?

Cheers.

SSSS
Nope, never found out what cures the creaking. I have my LBS talking to Race Face to cut me a deal on new turbines!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this thread is waaaay old, but old threads are where answers are found for those of us who run old parts, like Next LP cranks. I have mine set up 2x9. One day the creaking started. Swapped BB's - still creaked. Was almost ready to buy a new crankset, but decided to put the Next LP's on another bike, where there was no creak. My bike is a Felt RXC hardtail, so I thought maybe the dropout creak this guy found on his Heckler wouldn't apply. Wrong!!! I checked the derailleur hanger and it was a little loose. I tightened it down and the creak is gone.

Moral of the story - Read deep and try everything. Thanks old thread!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts