Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding an Orbea Alma carbon frame with 2008 XTR Cranks on them. I bagan to hear a creaking clicking noise during every pedal rotation with some force (like when i'm climbing).

I took off the cranks, cups and cleaned everything....I put everything back together and made sure everything was tight....but I still hear this noise.

my fear is that it's the frame and small cracks in frame where the bottom bracket is....

I wanted to get opinions before I replace the frame?.....it rides OK but the noise is driving me up the wall

·
Registered
58 Posts
clicking noise

Yeah i have a clicking noise that has developed after putting xt cranks on my bike, but it only happens in middle ring and 1st and 2nd gears on the rear. After pulling apart the whole drive chain and cleaning, and regreasing everything its still there. After a closer inspection it looks like the pick ups on the chain ring maybe responsible for the clicking. I'm also using a sram chain everything else XT if that makes any difference but it didnt running the lx cranks previously.:confused:

The annoying noise only goes away when using other gear combos.:madman:

Maybe i'll go all sram next time but ill miss my xt shifters.:skep:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JSumner13 said:
did you solve your problem yet?
no made sure everything was tight (used my Torque wrench) but still hear the noise. When I look closely at the BB shell I can see a small bulge and flakes (looks like the clear coating)...around the shell area. It could be normal wear and tear...and I'm not sure if the buldge was there before.

I love Carbon and the weight, but I ride quite a bit....I have a SS I ride as well but most of the miles come on this bike (which I race as well). I use it for XC and Endurance 12hr max. I'm not totally sold that Carbon frames can withstand the abuse...but I am no expert.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I had this same problem and for me it was worn chain rings. What happens is when torque was applied the rings would hook the chain at the bottom. I changed the middle and the granny and it went away. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I understand, I HATE any creaking/noise it makes me CRAZY!! Here's the things I've done help prevent/get rid of them:
Took crank/BB off, cleaned BB threads using alcohol as last cleaning item. Re-packed BB bearings cleaned threads on cups. Used "Never-sieze"(grey/black thick solution made up of graphite etc) on threads torqued BB cups to specs. Took chaingrings off crank and cleaned all surfaces. Where chain rings mount on crank apply thin layer of silicone seal, and used siliconeseal on the bolts to secure chanrings. Grease the crank arms especially crankshaft. Outer seals of BB cups get some grease as well. Tighten crank as per specs. If crank arms has endbolts used blue locktite and tighten to specs. Seat post gets greased (if metal, not if carbon), and seat rails get greased also.
once had the creak from hell (One I couldn't find) was the rear der hanger. Took it off, cleaned frame and hanger, used thin layer of silicone seal between them and tightened hold-down bolt.
Handlebar/stem surfaces get grease as does fork post/stem surfaces. good luck with yours!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.