Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it came back, thing is I finally can recreate the creak off the bike. It starts to happen when I am standing on the left side of the bike, and then I grab the tire/rim, and while holding onto the frame, I push against the tire and rim...then there is like a loud "click" or even a "clunk"

I lubed all pivots, my only guess are the bushings being worn down? It sounds like its coming from the rear...

Now on a side note, this creak will wear off as the ride goes on, and at times it will dissappear, like if it is some gremlin deciding to pop up whenever he wants.

I don't want to replace any bushings this late in the season..would rather wait till the season is over and do a complete rebuild.

Was hoping if any of you has experienced any of the same, what did you do and how difficult was it to find and fix? Also was it easy enough to where I should do it now? This is on my Altitude RSL 70

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
It's odd that it would go away and come back if it relates to a worn part. The suspension bearings don't really have enough rotation to move a bearing in and out of a worn spot during a ride.

If it's a worn bushing or bearing you should be able to feel any vertical play in the pivot.

I'd also go through and check all the rear brake bolts for tightness, including the rotor bolts.

A fast way to check what might be going on is remove the top bolt on the shock so that you can cycle the rear suspension through it's travel without the shock iconnected and listen for any noises or feel for any rough spots.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense..if its worn, it wouldn't fade in and out..so it might just be something too tight.. I let out all the air in my rear shock and everything was like butter..but I will remove it and see how everything feels and look for what you mentioned, that sounds easy enough to do.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You my friend...is bad ass! Lol its gone! I felt something stick in the rear, it did not occur to me to check those pivots cause it seemed fine...well the two back pivots were dry to the bone, also there was signs of wear on the aluminum...i cleaned it all out, applied belray grease and reassembled, i almost cried when i took it around the block lol now im itching to take it out tomorrow. Thanks a ton, without a doubt that was it...prolly something i should have checked first considering it only happened when i pedaled, but i instantly thought it was either my crank or pedals...but that should have been my third spot! Stoked once again lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts