Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought of opening a thread where we share how we solved our creak problems. Perhaps it could become a creak database ??

I start:

Bike - 5spot/Romic
Creak - Creak coming from seatpost/saddle/bb ares. Only nder hard pedalling in either middle or small chainring.

Solved - 2 Chainring bolts were lose. Tightened - no more creaks

·
Registered
850 Posts
Bike 5spot/DHX
CreakCreak/click when pedaling, in and out of saddle.
Trial and error: Remove/clean/reinstall BB and cranks. Changed pedals. Lubed seat rails, and seatpost. Removed stem and cleaned the clamping area.
Solved: Took apart pivots and did a good clean/lube. Did not remove bushings, only the pivot shafts. Cleaned REAL well and greased with thicker Phil waterproof grease. In the Pac NW we ride in BAD weather and im sure the original build grease had gone dry. The zerks can only get the grease in so far... sometimes you have to take the time to go all out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bike - 5spot/Romic
Creak - Creak coming from cassette/hub/rear linkage ares. Only when under hard pedalling. Can feel the feedback of the popping/creaking in the chain. On further investigation, the right HL can be popped in and out of place by grabbing the stay and pulling up and down.

Solved - Dissasembled the horst links (very tight fit and bone dry), greased em up with marine grease, and put them back together with proper torque spec. Thanks to everybody on this board for the help....

Greyeye

·
Registered
198 Posts
gonzostrike said:
how to avoid the creaks in the first place:

1) grease

2) torque wrench

3) use both of the above correctly, which means periodic torque checking after initial assembly.
Good advice,,,,Got the bike used and dd not check this before the first couple of rides...

Greyeye

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Greyeye, it's pretty simple to do basic wrenching.

If you like using online info, Park Tool's Repair Help is about the best you'll find on line.

Lennard Zinn's "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" taught me how to wrench my own stuff and I do all my own work now.

Torque wrenches, grease, patience and a good repair manual are all you need for a lot of the basic stuff that causes creaks.

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
BIKE: (The mighty) 5 Spot

CREAK: From BB area. When I stand and mash I hear a loud creak. '04 XT Hollowtech 2 Crank and BB. Happened after a good wash.

SOLUTION: Tightened bolts in chainring, removed BB and crank re-greased and installed everything. Problem solved.

Lesson learned: Never wash my bike again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
gonzostrike said:
Greyeye, it's pretty simple to do basic wrenching.

If you like using online info, Park Tool's Repair Help is about the best you'll find on line.

Lennard Zinn's "Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" taught me how to wrench my own stuff and I do all my own work now.

Torque wrenches, grease, patience and a good repair manual are all you need for a lot of the basic stuff that causes creaks.
I have to give props to the best wrenching book I have found, Park Tools Big Blue Book of Bike Maintenance....I have Zinn and some others but Park Tools is the most current and straightforward, in my opinion. I recently built-up my Burner, from the ground up, by myself with the help of this board and that book. Great point about patience and grease, key things for a quiet bike...

Greyeye

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
Stick this Up!

I think this is a good enough idea that it should get the "Sticky" treatment, so it stays at the top of the forum, rather than getting buried if nobody talks creaks for a week or two.

I don't know how to this type of treatment gets decided, so those of you who do, what do you think?

·
Registered
451 Posts
creaky x-type bb

I have a race face dues setup with the x type bb, just noticed on my last ride a loud creak coming from the bb, took the cranks apart and cleaned the main saft and bearing surfaces, didnt take the cups off because the bearing spins in the cups so i didnt think it would do anything if i greased the cup threads again,well, creak is still there!! should i take the bb off and grease the cup threads more??? only about 40 miles on this setup....

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Creaking

In 12 years I've been lucky enough to solve all my creaking issues on 10 Different FS frames by cleaning and reinstalling the BB or seatpost clamp; except the 3 I found cracks on. Never had a pivot problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Creaking Cranks

Creaking: from the BB area when hammering in big gear

reason: loose press fitting between the crank arm and the spider on a XT hollowtech 1 Crankset (oktalink)

solution: Hammer and "Körner" sorry missing the vokabel - tool for marking drilling holes on iron.

I greased and reassembled the BB five times before I found the creaking!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bike - Litespeed Ti Hardtail (friend's bike)
Creak - Creak coming from seatpost/saddle/bb ares. Investigation showed that the creaking only happened when the rider was seated.
Solved - Creaking was in the seatpost/saddlerail interface. Applied lube to saddle rails. Fixed.

Bike - Habanero Ti Hardtail
Creak - Creak coming from BB. Only occurred during hard pedalling. Occurred seated and standing, in all gears, with various shoe and pedal combos.
Solved - Removed BB, relubed the cups, reinstalled. Fixed.

No creaks on my Five Spot yet.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
before it gets too muddy...

1) creaks under pedal load obviously come from the drivetrain/BB end of things. so you can simply check your chainring bolts first, then your crank bolts, and then your BB. go from easiest to most involved fix.

2) creaks at the saddle/seatpost area typically are: (a) insufficient torque on rail clamp fixing bolts, (b) loose seatpost clamp, or (c) your gassy self

3) other creaks might benefit from some analytic diagnosis responses, but the answers so far seem way too general to be guidelines for fixing creaks and squeaks.

oh, and please note SMOKEY's wise observation about jetting water around ANY bearing found on your bike. normal calm water running pressure should be fine, do NOT use a spray gun on your garden hose.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
gonzostrike said:
before it gets too muddy...

1) creaks under pedal load obviously come from the drivetrain/BB end of things. so you can simply check your chainring bolts first, then your crank bolts, and then your BB. go from easiest to most involved fix.
Not always... and not obviously.

I've had creaks coming from the suspension (not a Turner bike) that only occurred when standing and cranking hard on the pedals. I occasionally get a creak from the spring on my 5 spot, but only when standing and pedaling really hard...and only from an almost dead stop.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
creak from the rear damper's spring is NOT coming from the crank/BB so why would you say I'm wrong.

creak coming from the frame pivots is NOT coming from the crank/BB so why would you say I'm wrong.

you are one confusing mofo.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
gonzostrike said:
creak from the rear damper's spring is NOT coming from the crank/BB so why would you say I'm wrong.

creak coming from the frame pivots is NOT coming from the crank/BB so why would you say I'm wrong.

you are one confusing mofo.
You have a really short memory, Gonzo. I'll refresh it for you. You wrote:

The creaks from the spring that I mentioned were coming...and I quote you "under pedal load"........ NOT "obviously" from the drivetrain / BB area, as you posted.

The creaks that were coming from the suspension were coming "under pedal load", NOT "obviously" from the drivetrain / BB area, as you posted.

Therefore, you're not only wrong. you're also forgetful and insulting.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
You have a really short memory, Gonzo. I'll refresh it for you. You wrote:

The creaks from the spring that I mentioned were coming...and I quote you "under pedal load"........ NOT "obviously" from the drivetrain / BB area, as you posted.

The creaks that were coming from the suspension were coming "under pedal load", NOT "obviously" from the drivetrain / BB area, as you posted.

Therefore, you're not only wrong. you're also forgetful and insulting.
I agree on the general topic....My horst link creak/pop only happened when under a good chain/pedal induced load and not when the suspension itself was just compressed....And from what I here, the first part of the suspension to make noise will most often be the right side HL....

Greyeye

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Greyeye said:
I agree on the general topic....My horst link creak/pop only happened when under a good chain/pedal induced load and not when the suspension itself was just compressed....And from what I here, the first part of the suspension to make noise will most often be the right side HL....

Greyeye
I remember when you were posting about that issue.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.