Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,146 Posts
I live at 4000' elevation in Central Oregon and am still biking. Usually There's more snow on the ground and I'm done for the season by now. We have a had some heavy rain recently though. The ski area up the road pushed their projected opening date back from this Friday to December 3rd.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
It's cooled down here in the northeast, and just had our first measurable snowfall off of the Great Lakes. October was certainly a mild month but November seems to be closer to average so far.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,444 Posts
Normal temps here in TX, still in the 80's and probably will be for a couple more weeks.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
I was just there, we had frost one morning, then temps at 60° for two days. It was around 80 the day before this though. That's kind of the rule there though, when a cold front drops from Canada, there'll be nothing to stop it on the march down south and it'll eventually hit Texas..but it won't hang around for more than a couple days.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
It's been pretty wet here and warmer than usual. We had flooding up north next to BC, but not as bad in Seattle. The ride on Sunday was awesome with a temperature inversion.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It's been wetter, but not colder up here at the top left corner. It's not looking too great for skiing yet.
While I love to ride bikes, I adore skiing! Mostly resort turns, but I do get into the backcountry as well.

We had a lovely wet and significantly cooler summer than normal and I was really hoping for that trend to go through the winter. But no. We are getting shut out. I like water for all sorts of reasons, and if we don't get enough of it during the winter then the NFS closes the forests down next summer, so that means no mountain biking for a while next year too. So these effects have run on consequences. Bummer. Maybe NOAA is wrong? Just wishing...

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
While I love to ride bikes, I adore skiing! Mostly resort turns, but I do get into the backcountry as well.

We had a lovely wet and significantly cooler summer than normal and I was really hoping for that trend to go through the winter. But no. We are getting shut out. I like water for all sorts of reasons, and if we don't get enough of it during the winter then the NFS closes the forests down next summer, so that means no mountain biking for a while next year too. So these effects have run on consequences. Bummer. Maybe NOAA is wrong? Just wishing...
Sounds like you need to make a trip to BC

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sounds like you need to make a trip to BC
I am actually considering it! Maybe for a week sometime either later in January or later in February. Revelstoke for 3 or 4 days and Kicking Horse for 3 or 4 days. You don't live too fair from either place, right? Which is the best, closest airport to these two? Kamloops is probably more of a drive than Calgary, right?

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I am actually considering it! Maybe for a week sometime either later in January or later in February. Revelstoke for 3 or 4 days and Kicking Horse for 3 or 4 days. You don't live too fair from either place, right? Which is the best, closest airport to these two? Kamloops is probably more of a drive than Calgary, right?
Kamloops is closer but more expensive. Most people fly into Kelowna. Calgary is long drive.

Revelstoke is my home town, my parents still live there. My mom grew up in golden, still have family there. Both hills are really good.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Kamloops is closer but more expensive. Most people fly into Kelowna. Calgary is long drive.

Revelstoke is my home town, my parents still live there. My mom grew up in golden, still have family there. Both hills are really good.
Good to know about flying into Kelowna instead of Kamloops. How long of a drive is it to Revelstoke from Kelowna? Also, How long of a drive is it from Revelstoke to Golden? Definitely would ski both places! Haha! It might be a surprise trip for my oldest son who has worked in the ski industry for almost a decade. (I used to when I was in my 20's for about 8 years.) My home hill is Taos Ski Valley and he grew up on that hill. We LOVE big, steep ripping lines and Kicking Horse looks super fun! Especially with your snowpack! Woohoo!

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Kelowna to Revelstokeis 140km. About 2hrs in the winter.
Revelstoke to Golden is also 140km. But it can 2 to 4hrs in the winter.

Both drives are on highways that are frequently closed for avalanches control. You have to pay attention to the weather. I would suggest just pick one hill. You want to avoid travel days in that region in the winter. Both hills have enough terrain to keep you entertained for a least an entire season.

RMR is sitting on about 15ft of snow so far this season. Opening day is this weekend.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts