Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

i'm a recreational biker at best, but would like to bike 10K vertical feet in a single ride when i'm in Maui in couple of months. I would love your advice on any and all parts of the project. Specifically, i currently only own a mtb ('11 epic comp 29er), have not riden a road bike for ~15 years, and will likely do 90%+ of my preparation on mtb. Once in Maui i will rent a road bike and will do the ride on the road bike (likely Specialized 2011 Secteur Comp). I will of course try to rent/borrow a road bike for some prep. rides before the "race day". I would love to hear advice on any of the following (and other, perhaps even more important issues i have missed):

1) how many rides on the road bike should i do minimum, how many optimally?
2) what are best pedal/shoes for dual use - mbt/road? -- i need to get new pair of both shoes and pedals and am planning to get them for my mtb, but wondering if certain types/setups are better for road than others. right now planning to get the Pro mbt shoe from specialized and likely some kind of crank brothers pedals.
3) if i were to invest a get a road bike, which bike(s) from specialized would you recommend (pls. include the exact model, not just the family) thanks.
4) how should i adjust the training to prepare for the transition from mtb to road
5) more broadly, any tips about how to train, what to eat/dring during the race etc?
6) other?

Thank!
m.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Gents,

i'm a recreational biker at best, but would like to bike 10K vertical feet in a single ride when i'm in Maui in couple of months. I would love your advice on any and all parts of the project. Specifically, i currently only own a mtb ('11 epic comp 29er), have not riden a road bike for ~15 years, and will likely do 90%+ of my preparation on mtb. Once in Maui i will rent a road bike and will do the ride on the road bike (likely Specialized 2011 Secteur Comp). I will of course try to rent/borrow a road bike for some prep. rides before the "race day". I would love to hear advice on any of the following (and other, perhaps even more important issues i have missed):

1) how many rides on the road bike should i do minimum, how many optimally?
2) what are best pedal/shoes for dual use - mbt/road? -- i need to get new pair of both shoes and pedals and am planning to get them for my mtb, but wondering if certain types/setups are better for road than others. right now planning to get the Pro mbt shoe from specialized and likely some kind of crank brothers pedals.
3) if i were to invest a get a road bike, which bike(s) from specialized would you recommend (pls. include the exact model, not just the family) thanks.
4) how should i adjust the training to prepare for the transition from mtb to road
5) more broadly, any tips about how to train, what to eat/dring during the race etc?
6) other?

Thank!
m.
Use the search feature on this website.

You're welcome.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
You should post this in the training section, get great advice in there, answer all your questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.