Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of selling my Fuel EX 8 29er for a Niner RIP 9 Alloy. I did a demo of the RDO version last week and really like the bike. I was looking at the XT equipped in green. I have been on my fuel since June. I know it has not been that long but my have been bitten by the niner bug.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not from what most people in the 29er and Niner forums who've ridden both are saying. I myself am in the process of moving from my Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er to one of the new RIPs.

What did you like about the demo?
I cant nail down a single specific thing. Maybe it was the cornering.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I cant nail down a single specific thing. Maybe it was the cornering.
How so?

I am FINALLY getting my '14 Fuel EX8 29er on actual dirt, after nothing but snow and ice since getting it at Christmas time.

I am noticing my front end wanting to knife-in on harder, faster corners.
At this point, I am going to be blaming the front tire, as the XR3 does not have deep knobs. I have an XR4 on my '08 Fuel EX9 26" and that bike seems to just corner very well.

I love my Treks, but I wold trade them both in for a KTM Lycan 271. I don't care how it handles, its a KTM.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not that it wants to knife in on the Fuel. I have actually had good luck with the xr3's. It just seemed to feel more fluid around the corners. I think the RIP actually has a steeper ht angle, but I would have to ask someone who is better than me to look at the geometry as a whole to compare the two bikes. I was thinking of upgrading a few things like shifters, cassette, carbon bar but at that point that's hundreds of dollars I could put towards the RIP.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As others have said, we ride for fun (or at least most do) so ride what makes you have the biggest grin. That being said, how was the demo rip set up, did you pay careful attention to this? Maybe the bar was lower, wider, shorter stem, a combo of the two, setback post, different tyres? I'd at least see if setup was the difference before I went looking to get ride of such a nice bike, that isn't old and loose some $$.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Can't tell you what to do, but i recently bought a closeout RIP and am really impressed with it. Haven't ridden an ABP bike, but have had several other FS 29ers. The RIP geometry handles twisty and flowy trail very well, and the suspension really follows rough trail. Even in full open the bike climbs well with the suspension soaking up the rough stuff while keeping the rear wheel planted on the ground. This is a great bike.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the bar was wider. I run a near flat 720 and the Rip had a 780 flat carbon. Actually the guy settting up the bike messed up putting air in the shock and it was near flat. They fixed it and then all was good. Actually the suspension could have been 5-10 psi firmer but I liked the bump compliance and it actually climbed vey well. The Revelation really seemed like a great fork.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Sounds like you're exploring and getting down to what works best for your conditions. It's so complex and demoing is what you need. But is difficult to get opportunities across the many different bikes out there.
I've demoed the Rip9 and the Fuel EX9.8 from the Factory Demo fleet. Both are very good options. I felt the Rip was closer to the Remedy on my trails. Some dealers(if they want to) can offer the Rip with an SLX build at their option at a bit of additional saving.
That may not be as available in Germany. But you do have options from Canyon and others.
I am zeroing in on a carbon hard tail with compliance enough to compare in rideability for me with the Fuel EX9.8 on my trails. It has more trail feel and lighter weight with a little bit quicker edgier handling, the Superfly 9.8, available as a frameset in Germany.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I demoed the Remedy 9 29er that same day and didn't like it. You could really feel the wheel flop side to side (slack ht). It also may have been the heavier XR4 tires. It basically was too much bike for the trails/area.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The Superfly 9.8 had the surprisingly grippy XR1 Team tires. They held as well as Nobby Nics and were faster rolling. The SF uses Trek's road group carbon frame engineering for compliance. It is worth a demo- my next ride as a build, lotsa fun.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you want to change, then do it...it's a hobby, do what you like. One thing though before you change, I would compare the bikes with the same bar and stem. The Fuel is a much better handling bike with wide bars like the 780 you tried on the niner, and a shorter stem. The Fuel is okay handling with the stock 720/80mm combo...but is great with 50mm/750+mm stem and bar combo IMO.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you want to change, then do it...it's a hobby, do what you like. One thing though before you change, I would compare the bikes with the same bar and stem. The Fuel is a much better handling bike with wide bars like the 780 you tried on the niner, and a shorter stem. The Fuel is okay handling with the stock 720/80mm combo...but is great with 50mm/750+mm stem and bar combo IMO.
Currently I am running the stock 720 bars w/ an upgraded 60mm stem (Race Face Turbine). If I go with a few upgrades to the Fuel I was thinking a 750mm carbon bar....flat or .25" rise.

I guess my major hang up is I have spent the $ swapping to a 2x SLX crank and FD. Also a set of Rhythm Pro wheels (great deal on the wheels). I could put my stock wheels back on and sell the Rhythms separately.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I do wonder how the Rip would ride with the Rock shocks monarch vs the Fox CTD that was on the Demo bike. I kept it in the trail setting.
I have both the New Rip9 alloy & Rip9 RDO & the rear shocks do ride a bit different for sure.

The Fox feels a little plusher & the RS feels a little more supportive but not in a harsh way,

I'm yet to swap them over & see how the bikes feel.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How is the revelation fork? Do u have the Xt or. Xo alloy build? I called my most local dealer, they seem willing to swap wheels for me, wanting a set of i9's. I am torn between the xt or xo build. Also torn on the fox or rs fork

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.