Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Thought I would share this YouTube video I found that shows the popularity of Mission Peak in Fremont. Also, it shows how people who come into the area are behaving badly and have no regards to the residents in the local communities. Let this video be a warning to mountain bikers. Don't go here during the weekends. You will be on your brakes all the way down while trying to remind hikers which way is their left or right!

YouTube Video of Mission Peak Last Sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTS_yMzzKk

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Yes it is true...

And i am one of the contribution to the parking problem

This is what you do to avoid dragging your brakes down stanford side. A third of the way down hang a left. This goes toward lone horse trail??? Side. It adds a few small and pleasant up and down before decending to the bottom gate entrance. Its a much better way to go down and breaks up the mundate and long fireroad downhill.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can't believe that many people actually WANT to hike up there considering that there are so many better places around the bay area to go. The view is eh..ok and the hike isn't even difficult. Maybe that's the appeal? I guess better there than crowding at Skeggs or other places I frequent.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is true...

And i am one of the contribution to the parking problem

This is what you do to avoid dragging your brakes down stanford side. A third of the way down hang a left. This goes toward lone horse trail??? Side. It adds a few small and pleasant up and down before decending to the bottom gate entrance. Its a much better way to go down and breaks up the mundate and long fireroad downhill.
Actually it is connecting to Peak Meadow Trail to Horse Heaven Trail to avoid the large crowds. But like the other poster, why the huge demand to hike Mission Peak? This has only happened in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Part of the appeal is the wide trail and large population. It is about the safest trail and hardest to get lost with the crowd. The uphill is a very good fitness challenge. Thats why i like stanford side so much. Also it is so close to town.

In the summer, college students and church groups hike up it as a group activity and everyone likes to drive separately and meet up at the trail head. Thats why if you get there past 7am on saturdY, good luck finding parking.

Trekusps, thanks for correcting my trail names. There are a few ways to get down and avoid the crowd. They all add a few miles to the ride. I do know what you guys are talking about regarding brake dragging and unreasonable hikers. Encountered more than a few.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Wow. Great video. I am just glad I never decide to go from Stanford side. I hiked up there a couple weeks ago and parked right in front of Ohlone college. The hike is a bit longer but less steep with more varied landscape.

It is actually a pretty good workout and the view is nice. Most likely its popular due to proximity and the accomplishment-with-picture factor. You post on facebook a picture of you on that peak and it feels good, I can understand that.
I wanted to get a picture too but when I saw the line, I just laughed out loud and walked away.

·
More Torque
2,022 Posts
Awesome video! I haven't been out there in years, but it sure does not make me want to go. SO many other awesome places to hike in the south bay, and you won't have to contend with herds of people.

Last time I hiked it was a number of years back, starting at the dam end of Del Valle. A huge rainstorm came through, so the face of MP was super slick. A buddy of mine kept hitting the deck, after his boots mudded up. We could not stop laughing.

-D

2006_03_25_SunolPano.jpg 2006_03_24_Sunol_100.JPG

·
Paper or plastic?
10,125 Posts
Plenty of parking on the Ohlone side and a slightly easier climb

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree that there is plenty of parking on the Ohlone side. I try to use the Ohlone side and its getting crowded around the single track in the forest area.Those hikers don't know their left from right.

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Cool pic, Diesel!

I think it's great that so many people are getting outdoors! Realistically, unless the younger generation prefers to "see" the outdoors on smartphones or tablets, it's only going to get more crowded everywhere in NorCal. What are land managers doing to accommodate the growing population of trail users?

I'd normally think that heading out during non-peak hours would provide you some solitude, but the fact that the video shows parking issues SO early in the morning is disturbing.

The solution to the pollution is dilution...

·
Registered
51 Posts
With all the extra time spent finding parking and having to hike the extra distance people should just drive further and hike at other places. Of course I doubt any of those "hikers" are looking for solitude.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Nobody goes to Mission Peak anymore. It got too popular...

Excellent documentary!

Btw- I'm stoked that they're there and not on "my" trails.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Nobody goes to Mission Peak anymore. It got too popular...

Excellent documentary!
I certainly would not ride there anymore. I had in the past from the Ohlone side.

·
More Torque
2,022 Posts
Cool pic, Diesel!

I think it's great that so many people are getting outdoors! Realistically, unless the younger generation prefers to "see" the outdoors on smartphones or tablets, it's only going to get more crowded everywhere in NorCal. What are land managers doing to accommodate the growing population of trail users?

I'd normally think that heading out during non-peak hours would provide you some solitude, but the fact that the video shows parking issues SO early in the morning is disturbing.

The solution to the pollution is dilution...
Thanks, EB.

Agreed that it is great to see so many people, especially younger ones, getting outside and enjoying a healthy outdoor activity. Personally, I'm glad that they are all concentrated on that barren hill. More space and solitude for the rest of us at other locales.

RE: Land managers and the accommodation of more users.

In the south bay:

MidPen - going to voters for add'l funding
SCCOSA - likely going to voters for add'l funding
Santa Clara County Parks - slowly revising the master plans for their parks and making them more multi-use and dog friendly, which will spread folks out more and open certain parks to new user groups.
CA State Parks - giving people the finger? They don't have a problem. WE have have/are the problem, no?

-D

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
You guys that park on Ohlone, you know there is parking patrol and you will need to pay $2 each time to park right? That was the original reason I only ride on Stanford side...

Stanford side is really not about the view and the single track. Is like going to the gym and getting a workout. The pain is addictive.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,125 Posts
You guys that park on Ohlone, you know there is parking patrol and you will need to pay $2 each time to park right? That was the original reason I only ride on Stanford side...

Stanford side is really not about the view and the single track. Is like going to the gym and getting a workout. The pain is addictive.
I park on Mission Blvd and maximize the amount of climbing and misery. The upper parking lot at Ohlone is torn up right now. I'm not sure what they're building.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
Am I the only one who still finds it funny to watch P.D. sit there ticketing all the illegally parked cars on Stanford Ave and surrounding streets while pedaling along? :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last time I spoke with the police officers, they gave out 17 tickets on one driveby. Most of which were from Santa Clara County residents. What is up with these Santa Clara County residents that block driveways and block hydrants?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I park on Mission Blvd and maximize the amount of climbing and misery. The upper parking lot at Ohlone is torn up right now. I'm not sure what they're building.
Ohlone College is putting up new buildings and a 900 car parking lot to accommodate their students and weekend hikers. All of the construction should be done 8/15. Just so you know, currently parking is free on Sundays.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts