Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local REI today, and noticed their ADV 4.2 bike. I'm pretty jaded about mass produced bikes these days because they are all pretty much the same, but this one caught my eye because of the spec:

- Super beefy racks rear AND front
- 2x11 gearing with 24x42 low
- 27.5x2.8 tires
- Jones H bars (!)
- THUMBSHIFTERS - yes, 11 speed thumbies
- Thudbuster seatpost - seriously, the only bike I've ever seen with one of these as standard. I have one on one of my MTB hardtails and it is awesome.
- WTB saddle - easy to cheap out here, but these are my favorites
- Shimano disk brakes

All of this for $2000, and I believe you could have gotten it for $1600 with the 20% off member deal that ended yesterday. Good thing I didn't see it yesterday!

Seriously, it looked like you could throw on your bags and leave today on an awesome journey, with ZERO changes.

Nice to see that you don't have to spend into the stratosphere if you want a cool bike.

https://www.rei.com/product/122461/co-op-cycles-adv-42-bike

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Can’t get excited about owning a bike that I’ll use once or twice a year – no matter how cheap it is. Tons of radder bikes are easily good enough to pedal all day for days. At tour’s end you have a trail bike. During a tour like Idaho Hot Springs, you can strip it down and spend a day shredding the ST options. You can load it up lightly and BP a technical route. You can ride anything and more as on that glorified commuter. I could see riding the Divide on one then dumping it like I did my El Mariachi.

I’m sure the “adventure” nomenclature resonates with some, but I go more places with more options for fun on a more capable bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am strangely drawn to that Co-op Cycles ADV 4.2 bike. Since 1985 I’ve ridden a Trek 850, racks front and rear so I can carry the mail and be ready for Armageddon, a Cannondale plus a 90’s Stumpjumper. I refer to the Trek as my truck, but that REI bike has the wheels turning in my mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.