Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Crash is too shy to post his own story...I'm doing it for him! He put too much effort into the race and his write-up for it not to be read. Here 'tis...

If anyone cares to read my race report, it follows. If you don't want to, then go read one of Dirdir's posts...

First 12 hour solo attempt report:

I have to say that overall, I really enjoyed going solo. I had some issues (as you'll
read) but knowing I wasn't letting a team mate down by going too slow made the race have a more relaxed feel. I definitely learned a lot that I can take into my next solo race.

Now onto the report...

The race was at the rodeo grounds in Payson which means there was horse crap all over. So a bad smell and flies made it miserable until someone in camp brought a rake with them. The poo was raked into a pile and everything was much better. Plus, it was 96 degrees with some humidty which always spells doom for me (as you'll see).

The course:

The course started out with about a 1/4 mile run. The first mile was rocky singletrack
that you had to negotiate in order to avoid a pinch flat. This ended with a 1/4 mile
climb that then descended about a mile over some of the roughest rockiest downhill I've ever ridden. Once again, you had to be cautious in order not to pinch flat. (This is one of the parts of the course that I passed a lot of people on.) The next couple of miles were short rocky up and downs. These things really took it out of ya if you pressed hard. This section came to a 1.5 mile singletrack climb. This was no normal climb though. The beginning kicked up at what felt like a 65 degree angle! It leveled off here and there but was pretty steep the entire time. Add in the loose and rocky parts and it was a seriously challenging climb. This brought you up to the top of the hill that was a duplicate of the first one. Rocky, loose and very sharp things made it a very slow descent (for most). At the bottom of this hill, another hill climb awaited. This one wasn't very long but the last hill had a way of making it feel just a bit longer. A short descent and you were climbing again. This hill wasn't so bad because you knew that it would take you to the fastest downhill on the course and out to the road. Ride the road 2 miles back to the start and do it all over again. And the road portion had a slight incline the entire way. Definitely a challenging course and not for the faint of foot (so to speak).

Lap 1:

This lap started with a 1/4 mile run. I felt great and was in the top 1/3 to the bike. I
hopped on and took off. I only had to unclip three times. Once because I had to slow down to avoid hitting a slower rider on the downhill. The other two times were on the major hill b/c I spun out on some loose rocks. I felt great the entire lap. I knew I was going to be riding many more laps so I took it easy to save some in researve for later.

Lap 2:

Eric (my support crew) was waiting at the finish with more water, Perpetrum and Hammer gel. I reloaded and started out again. This one was proving to be a tougher lap as I felt a twinge of a cramp in the calf. I sucked down the Perpeteum, water and gel like crazy. I was extremely thirsty and the heat was making the drinks warm in a hurry. About 20 minutes in, everything was really too warm to drink. I came to the big climb and once again started up it. About 100 yards up the climb, my stomach decided to reject the warm Perpeteum I'd been gulping down. Up it came and brought cramps with it. My legs just siezed up. I forced myself to push through it and started walking the bike up the hill. I came to a "less" steep section and hopped back on the bike. I was able to climb another 1/4 mile or so b/4 the legs locked up again. I stretched and started walking the bike again. A little while later I was able to fight the cramps off and ride a little more of the hill. Cramps again so I decided the best thing to do was cut my losses and walk the rest of the way. On the way down and on the next two short hills, cramps kept coming on. I was able to finish the lap and I took a much needed break. I sucked down some E-caps, V8, Ensure, water and some ramen noodles (lots of salt!).

Lap 3:

Just sitting in the chair, my legs were cramping. I wasn't sure how much more I had in me. I decided to give it another shot so I slowly climbed back on the bike. This lap the cramps were insane! My whole legs locked up on every little hill. They even started to lock up on the downhills. I had to stop several times not just to stretch, but to stretch long and hard. I walked almost the entire long climb. I just didn't have anything left in the tank. Everytime my hammy would lock up, I'd try to stretch it but then the quad would lock up. Then the calf, and so on. This was one of the most miserable rides I've ever had in my life. Somehow I was able to make it back to camp.

Lap 4:

I sat here a long time and let it cool off quite a bit. I was still cramping just sitting
in the chair and re-hydrating but decided I had to go once more. This lap started out
better than I expected. It was nice and cool and that was helping more than I could have imagined. Everytime I started to cramp, I grabbed an E-cap (why didn't I think of this earlier?) and that seemed to stave them off just a bit longer. I came to the big hill
and was determined to ride most of it. To my surprise, the cramps were minor and I
climbed about 95% of it on the bike. There were a few times I had to pop off and walk
just a bit to stretch out the muscles. They were feeling pretty good and I remained on
the bike the rest of the ride.

I finished the 4th lap at about 9:30 PM. I wanted to get one more lap in but I had
forgotten my red rear light and they highly suggested that I didn't go back out. And
since I was feeling like crud, I thought it was a good time to call it a race. I headed
back to camp and had the best plain Subway sandwich I've ever eaten. I was really beating myself up because I had really high expectations. I now know what I did wrong (I need to figure out the nutrition aspect of it) and I look forward to my next attempt.

(Oh and to top things off, the light I borrowed from Walt died on me once I hit the road. So that was a dark ride back to camp. I figured I'd get two night laps in at least so I decided to use Walt's light on the first lap and mine on the second. It just didn't work out.)

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Hey Crash!

Awesome effort! It takes alot to do an endurance race. So many different things to factor in! So it didn't go quite the way you wanted...nothing to beat yourself up over. You gained alot of experience that'll prepare you for the next time! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
it was brutal

the downhill was just as described and even on a fs it was babyhead city. the climb was just enough to suck but not enough to whine too much about, however it still sucked. i had a blast though cant wait till the next 24 hour race, if this is your first one i suggest getting in good shape for it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks Rodney for the extra perpeteum. After lap 7 though, my legs were noodles. Thats what I get for trying to run an Ultegra 12-25 cassette. I squeaked out an 8th lap, but my quads were swollen near the knee, and I didn't want to blow myself up for 8th place, so I settled on 10th. Oh well.... Next year... :)

waltaz said:
Since Crash is too shy to post his own story...I'm doing it for him! He put too much effort into the race and his write-up for it not to be read. Here 'tis...

If anyone cares to read my race report, it follows. If you don't want to, then go read one of Dirdir's posts...

First 12 hour solo attempt report:

I have to say that overall, I really enjoyed going solo. I had some issues (as you'll
read) but knowing I wasn't letting a team mate down by going too slow made the race have a more relaxed feel. I definitely learned a lot that I can take into my next solo race.

Now onto the report...

The race was at the rodeo grounds in Payson which means there was horse crap all over. So a bad smell and flies made it miserable until someone in camp brought a rake with them. The poo was raked into a pile and everything was much better. Plus, it was 96 degrees with some humidty which always spells doom for me (as you'll see).

The course:

The course started out with about a 1/4 mile run. The first mile was rocky singletrack
that you had to negotiate in order to avoid a pinch flat. This ended with a 1/4 mile
climb that then descended about a mile over some of the roughest rockiest downhill I've ever ridden. Once again, you had to be cautious in order not to pinch flat. (This is one of the parts of the course that I passed a lot of people on.) The next couple of miles were short rocky up and downs. These things really took it out of ya if you pressed hard. This section came to a 1.5 mile singletrack climb. This was no normal climb though. The beginning kicked up at what felt like a 65 degree angle! It leveled off here and there but was pretty steep the entire time. Add in the loose and rocky parts and it was a seriously challenging climb. This brought you up to the top of the hill that was a duplicate of the first one. Rocky, loose and very sharp things made it a very slow descent (for most). At the bottom of this hill, another hill climb awaited. This one wasn't very long but the last hill had a way of making it feel just a bit longer. A short descent and you were climbing again. This hill wasn't so bad because you knew that it would take you to the fastest downhill on the course and out to the road. Ride the road 2 miles back to the start and do it all over again. And the road portion had a slight incline the entire way. Definitely a challenging course and not for the faint of foot (so to speak).

Lap 1:

This lap started with a 1/4 mile run. I felt great and was in the top 1/3 to the bike. I
hopped on and took off. I only had to unclip three times. Once because I had to slow down to avoid hitting a slower rider on the downhill. The other two times were on the major hill b/c I spun out on some loose rocks. I felt great the entire lap. I knew I was going to be riding many more laps so I took it easy to save some in researve for later.

Lap 2:

Eric (my support crew) was waiting at the finish with more water, Perpetrum and Hammer gel. I reloaded and started out again. This one was proving to be a tougher lap as I felt a twinge of a cramp in the calf. I sucked down the Perpeteum, water and gel like crazy. I was extremely thirsty and the heat was making the drinks warm in a hurry. About 20 minutes in, everything was really too warm to drink. I came to the big climb and once again started up it. About 100 yards up the climb, my stomach decided to reject the warm Perpeteum I'd been gulping down. Up it came and brought cramps with it. My legs just siezed up. I forced myself to push through it and started walking the bike up the hill. I came to a "less" steep section and hopped back on the bike. I was able to climb another 1/4 mile or so b/4 the legs locked up again. I stretched and started walking the bike again. A little while later I was able to fight the cramps off and ride a little more of the hill. Cramps again so I decided the best thing to do was cut my losses and walk the rest of the way. On the way down and on the next two short hills, cramps kept coming on. I was able to finish the lap and I took a much needed break. I sucked down some E-caps, V8, Ensure, water and some ramen noodles (lots of salt!).

Lap 3:

Just sitting in the chair, my legs were cramping. I wasn't sure how much more I had in me. I decided to give it another shot so I slowly climbed back on the bike. This lap the cramps were insane! My whole legs locked up on every little hill. They even started to lock up on the downhills. I had to stop several times not just to stretch, but to stretch long and hard. I walked almost the entire long climb. I just didn't have anything left in the tank. Everytime my hammy would lock up, I'd try to stretch it but then the quad would lock up. Then the calf, and so on. This was one of the most miserable rides I've ever had in my life. Somehow I was able to make it back to camp.

Lap 4:

I sat here a long time and let it cool off quite a bit. I was still cramping just sitting
in the chair and re-hydrating but decided I had to go once more. This lap started out
better than I expected. It was nice and cool and that was helping more than I could have imagined. Everytime I started to cramp, I grabbed an E-cap (why didn't I think of this earlier?) and that seemed to stave them off just a bit longer. I came to the big hill
and was determined to ride most of it. To my surprise, the cramps were minor and I
climbed about 95% of it on the bike. There were a few times I had to pop off and walk
just a bit to stretch out the muscles. They were feeling pretty good and I remained on
the bike the rest of the ride.

I finished the 4th lap at about 9:30 PM. I wanted to get one more lap in but I had
forgotten my red rear light and they highly suggested that I didn't go back out. And
since I was feeling like crud, I thought it was a good time to call it a race. I headed
back to camp and had the best plain Subway sandwich I've ever eaten. I was really beating myself up because I had really high expectations. I now know what I did wrong (I need to figure out the nutrition aspect of it) and I look forward to my next attempt.

(Oh and to top things off, the light I borrowed from Walt died on me once I hit the road. So that was a dark ride back to camp. I figured I'd get two night laps in at least so I decided to use Walt's light on the first lap and mine on the second. It just didn't work out.)

·
my knees hurt
462 Posts
Good job guys....I spoke with a few friends that did this race also and they said the same, the course was brutal. Very rocky tech climbs....tough course for an endurance race.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
waltaz said:
Thanks to Walt for posting Crash's story!! Sounds like it was a brutal event. Pacing, food, hydration, training, support, attitude .... all are key elements to a successful endurance race. Congrats to Crash and the others for getting in the game and doing it.

·
Something goes here...
2,088 Posts
waltaz said:
Gee, thanks for posting my misery there Walter. :rolleyes:

I really had high expectations since I had competed in 8 other team 24 Hr events. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

BIG props to Funboarder who showed grit and determination while whippin' my arse! (of course, that wasn't hard to do).

·
Meatpuppet
536 Posts
Great job both of you, sounds like a lesson in brutality. I'm sure the promoter was thoroughly enjoying every grimace on every face. It takes alot to punish yourself like this and call it a good time:thumbsup:

I definately want to try one of these..................seeing as how my middle name
is "glutten":madman:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.