Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, fell a bunch of times, one of the clips got loose, so getting back sucked. Just not a fun experience, gonna stick with it, just hope it's worth it.

·
OTB Pro
106 Posts
I think everyone falls there first times on clipless or at least I know I did. Couldn't imagine riding without them now though. Keep with it for a while and you'll get the hang of it!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hang in there man, you'll get it down.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
I would recommend using them only on rural roads or something similar at first until you are very comfortable with them. Then graduate to double track or very easy non-technical trails, again until you don't give them a second thought. Do not attempt using them on difficult or technical trails until they become completely second nature.

This may take awhile.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
After a bit over a year on my clipless, i still don't have full confidence in them through technical sections. Although, once i start rolling though, not much else to do but ride it out. I would've jumped off many times if i was on platforms. I still fall about every 3rd or 4th ride. Would i have fallen with platforms? Probably. Did i clip out? 90% of the time before hitting the dirt and 10% after. Do i want to go back to platforms? No. The security of my feet not bouncing off the pedals and being able to use the pull up on the pedal for the up stroke outweigh my issues with being clipped in.

Summarize. You will fall. You'll fall next year. Will it be the pedals fault? Probably not. Ride what is best for you. Best thing you can do (and you are doing it) is at least give them a chance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Perfect timing, I was just looking at some clipless pedals today. Is there any particular style(shimano,eggbeaters,etc)recommended over another? I will also be new to this, but will have some flats for back up. But if I can't find a size 14 riding shoe. it'll have to be flats still problem with shoe sizes other than using a pair of ACG's or something along those lines. But I would like to go clipless.....

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
I wear 14 too, and Shimano as well as many others make sizes that large and beyond. Shimano pedals are reliable and easy, but everyone has their favorite- usually the one they are used to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had my first ride on clipless last sat and sun - nailed everything, no wrecks or issues, knock on wood. Felt so second nature to be clipped in, can't imagine I will ever go back. I had planned to ride them around the neighborhood for a few days to get used to them but said **** it and hit the trail right off the bat - wasn't a big deal.

Sorry you had a bad time - are you using the multidirectional release cleats? I am, with the tension set all the way down - I have more trouble getting clipped back in than I do getting unclipped. Try them out if you are not using them.

Hang in there and good luck!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if you want to stick with clipless, the best place to learn is a grassy flat field. Practice clipping and out over. Bumpy trail conditions not the best place to learn and dangerous. You want to get to the point where clipping out become automatic. muscle memory.

the clip came loose? the screw attaching to your shoe? if so, yes put some locktite on all of them and give it some good torque. If you have a torque wrench, I'd use it.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Stick with it, it ISSSSSSS worth it!

You really need to tighten the cleats to your shoes v. well, and use locktight to prevent them from coming loose.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Stick with it, it ISSSSSSS worth it!

You really need to tighten the cleats to your shoes v. well, and use locktight to prevent them from coming loose.

Those cleat bolts really do need to be tight and a lot of folks do use loctite on them but keep in mind that by the time you need to replace them those bolts are often ground down and mucked up quite a bit and not easy to remove under the best of circumstances.

I have always greased mine, and all the ones I've installed on other (customer) bikes and can attest that they stay tight just fine without the thread glue.

·
Merendon Junkie
1,068 Posts
After you screw them tight the first, go back to them some time after o after
Your first ride and retighten them again. The plastic has some give and they become a little bit loose after the cleats "teeth" have dug into the plastic on te shoes sole.

·
Registered
453 Posts
....... Do not attempt using them on difficult or technical trails until they become completely second nature.

This may take awhile.
I will second this advice. Coming from riding XC type trails in OR/WA, I had a big wake up call after moving to Colorado and trying to tackle the tech trails using clipless pedals (which is what I was used to). After countless scabs from falls, I moved to flats until my confidence/tech abilities improves. I still use clipless on the more flowy trails I ride, but keep the flats for the tech sections.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Perfect timing, I was just looking at some clipless pedals today. Is there any particular style(shimano,eggbeaters,etc)recommended over another?
SPD style is the best for beginners. It has adjustable tension and can be used with the "multi release" cleat allowing easier release.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the spd is my favorite infinite range of pedals.
Keep it up dude clipless pedals give you a lot of security when you dominate them

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wore them again today for a lesson that a local racer was giving. Much better, though we were mostly running drills on grass. Probably just jumped into the trails too fast. Locktite might be good idea, though I can see how getting them out later on would prove problematic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
J.B. Weld...Did you have to buy online and hope for a good fit? Or did go into a store and try them on? I would prefer the 2nd. I'm in NJ, so if anyone knows anywhere that carries larger sizes for the 'bigfoots' please let me know. I have just about all I'll need to go hit the trails, except the most important thing...the bike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts