Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone keeps saying that V-Brakes are better then crappy disk brakes.
So I am asking are the "Shimano 415, mechanical disc, 6" Center Lock rotors" crappy or good.

I am looking at buying a Specialized rockhopper $519 or rockhopper disk $599

If there is a better bike in this range I will be buying new at a LBS only so i can get

Specialized
Trek
Cannondale
Gary Fisher
Haro
Raleigh

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
snaky69 said:
I'd rather have a good v-brake over a crappy disc IMO.
As would I, but I don't know if the brakes on the Rockhopper Disc are just your everyday low end crap. Shimano is pretty good at making cheap but powerful disc brakes, and I have no clue what group the 415s (deore???) are in, but the disc version is definitely worth a test ride.

Tim

·
Registered
181 Posts
Be forewarned that CenterLok is NOT the most popular disc mounting method - you want "IS" mount for that. You can convert one way, but not the other. Just don't want you to buy your way into the Church Of The One Holy Shimano without your knowledge. :)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I've tried the Deore level 515 mechanical disc brakes and thought they were marginal at best...I can only imagine that the 415 would be worse.

Take the Rockhopper and upgrade the Tektro V-Brakes with a set of Avid SD7's V-Brakes ($60 a pair)...you'll have way better braking than those 415 disc brakes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
get the v-brakes if you want performance.... if you want the new "look" you could get the discs, but they arent as good as the v-brakes

hydraulic discs are really good, but mechanicals suck IMO.

v-brakes are really good... they just have a little less controlability then hydro discs and dont function as well in the wet / muddy conditions as hydro discs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'd take the disc, you still get the benefits of wet and muddy weather.
There's no way they couldn't brake any worse then most V-brakes out there in the dry or even when going downhill.

I hate my V-brakes.As soon as the rain hits it feels like I have hit them twice as hard to get the same bite as when dry.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had Promax discs on a previous bike and I absolutely hated them except when wet but I dont like riding in the rain anyway. From the reviews Ive seen I wont go back to disc until I can get the BB7's but considering thats a wheel set on top of the brakes thats not a priority right now. On my v brakes I upgraded my pads and outbrake most guys on the trail running mech discs with much less frequent adjustment required.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
i'd get the v-brake version. you don't need different v-brakes for better performance either, just a set of koolstop mtb brake pads (~$12 at the lbs). maybe if you ride a lot in the rain / mud / snow get the disks, otherwise save your $80.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
Andrew911tt said:
Everyone keeps saying that V-Brakes are better then crappy disk brakes.
Andrew, only the people with v-brakes say that :D .

You're choosing between a Rockhopper and a Rockhopper Disk, right? I would spend the extra $80 for the disk brakes. Test ride to be sure, but I bet you'll find that the brakes on the Disk model work just fine.

Now if you were choosing between, say, a $500 bike with v-brakes and a $300 bike with disk brakes, then I might have another opinion. But you are moving one step up in the Rockhopper line, and I think you'll be happier in the long run for having done that.

One thing to think about: once you have hubs and rims to support disks, it is very easy to change out pads and rotors, and to upgrade to better models of disk brake. I have a Rockhopper with v-brakes, and it sucks because the rims and hubs are not disk-ready. I would have to spend $200 on new wheels just to be in a position to spend even more on disk brakes.

My most recent three bikes run disk brakes. I like 'em a lot. You will too.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ahh yes I forgot to mention that.
If you ever want to go disc from V-brake you'll have to spend a good chuck of money on top of the brake system.

Between the wet/muddy performance and ease up upgrading to a different disc system I would for sure get the disc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the Rockhopper disc the break lever is the V-brake enclosure that holds the shifting and the brakes. Also the disk is a special Shimono center hub (or something like that) and can not be replaced by anything but the same series. It has something like a 5 bolt pattern instead of 6 screws.

·
Fall guy
82 Posts
Does the V-Brake one come with disk hubs? If it does I would say go with the V-brake model and upgrade later if you think its neccesary.

If it doesnt. I would go with the disk version and if you dont have enough stopping power you can buy a better disk caliper for not too much money. But if you get the V-Brakes and in only has a v-brake hub. You will have to lace up a new set of hubs or buy a new wheel set.
(I was just in that boat, I upgraded to disc but my current hubs werent.)

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Oh Really?

JonathanGennick said:
Andrew, only the people with v-brakes say that :D .
I no longer run V-Brakes and say that a good set of V-brakes are better than a poor set of disc. Cheap mechanical disc brakes don't work worth a crap...and their not that better in the wet because they still use organic pads that water cannot pass through (sintered metallic pads allow water to pass through the pad).

The Shimano mechanical disc brakes are a joke...only the Avids and maybe the Hayes MX1 are worth anything. Plus, by buying the Rockhopper disc, your being railroaded into the Shimano centerlock system that no one...I repeat no one else is or is going to use.

The ONLY way I would recommend the Rockhopper Disc is if you spend a bit more and swap out those crappy Shimano calipers for a set of Avids...the low end Shimano rotors have a wide enough braking track to work with the Avid calipers (though your still stuck with centerlock rotors).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for your opinions but I think I have decided and waited to go for the 08' Rockhopper (base). I think that the big thing is that disk work better in rain and mud, but here in San Diego there isn't much rain. I will just wait for my next upgrade to a FS bike to get disks.

I am open to suggestions about bikes that i should look at. My budget has a hard ceiling at $600.

G

·
Andrew911tt said:
I am open to suggestions about bikes that i should look at. My budget has a hard ceiling at $600.
I just pre-ordered the 08 Rockhopper Disc for my son for $600 at LBS. The color is Black with green stripe. If that is your budget then spend it now and enjoy it whilst you save for your next bike. My 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.