Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built out my new bike about 2 months ago and have had a very hard time getting used to it. It always felt like it was too small of a frame for me even though it was marked as a Large frame and I was used to an 18". I have tried many different things to make it fit but I still feel scrunched up everytime I ride.

I decided to measure the TT length and to my surprise, this ain't no Large like the sticker says it is. Its a medium!! It measures 550mm TT length and Specialized says large is supposed to be 599mm for this frameset. No freaking wonder!

So now what do I do? I'm screwed! I don't think I can buy another good FS frame and replace this one. Too much $$.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Whre did you buy it?

iviguy said:
I built out my new bike about 2 months ago and have had a very hard time getting used to it. It always felt like it was too small of a frame for me even though it was marked as a Large frame and I was used to an 18". I have tried many different things to make it fit but I still feel scrunched up everytime I ride.

I decided to measure the TT length and to my surprise, this ain't no Large like the sticker says it is. Its a medium!! It measures 550mm TT length and Specialized says large is supposed to be 599mm for this frameset. No freaking wonder!

So now what do I do? I'm screwed! I don't think I can buy another good FS frame and replace this one. Too much $$.
Local bike store? Take it back.

Ken

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
iviguy said:

how did you measure that? I am assuming that is not an effective top tube since that only measures 21.7 inches.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FoShizzle said:
how did you measure that? I am assuming that is not an effective top tube since that only measures 21.7 inches.
I measured center SP to center TT. As best I could that is. It sure as heck isn't 599mm.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken in KC said:
Local bike store? Take it back.

Ken
It was given to me. Problem is I spent about $500+ to build it out. Some parts off my old bike and some new or ebayed. It's a heck of a deal for what it is but its just too dang small for me.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
iviguy said:
I measured center SP to center TT. As best I could that is. It sure as heck isn't 599mm.
Perhaps you have a typo in your reply but Specialized measures their top-tube length based on the length from center of Head tube to center of seat tube, measured horizontally.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ChipAllen said:
Since it was a gift, no loss there. Use your new parts on a different frame that fits.
No loss?? I had a decent HT before this and spent $500 to build this frame out. Have you priced out frames lately? A good FS frame is anywhere from $500 and up. I don't have that kind of money at my disposal. I may be able to sell this frame or for that matter the whole bike if I wanted but I am still going to have to caugh up a bunch of money regardless to buy a new frame or bike. I thought I was through spending.

Guess my only option is to suck it up and just ride this one until I can afford a different bike.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
I'm confused...

FoShizzle said:
Perhaps you have a typo in your reply but Specialized measures their top-tube length based on the length from center of Head tube to center of seat tube, measured horizontally.
Is it just me? As Mr. Shizzle points out, your measurments seem off. In addition the frame was a gift? And it's the wrong size for you? Umm... ok. You received a free frame. Try trading it out in the classifieds, eBay, etc.

Ken

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FoShizzle said:
Oops.. Yes that is a typo. Center of HT to center of ST measured horizontally. That measurement is 550mm.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ken in KC said:
Is it just me? As Mr. Shizzle points out, your measurments seem off. In addition the frame was a gift? And it's the wrong size for you? Umm... ok. You received a free frame. Try trading it out in the classifieds, eBay, etc.

Ken
Corrected my typo on the measurements. Doesn't matter if the frame was a gift or not. I spent more money than I should have trying to build it out. Kind of a disappointment to put the time an effort into the build, not to mention the money to pay the LBS to put it together. I am not that talented. Not to mention about another $550 I have spent on my previous bike just trying to get it up to spec only to rob some parts from it to put on this frameset. Long story short, It's been a lot of money out of my budget that I really couldn't afford. The frame as a gift was cool and all but it was labled as a Large and had I known it was a Medium I would have turned it down.

I don't know what kind of trading I may be able to do with it because it has a dent and some scratches, which is part of the reason it was given away.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Still Confused

iviguy said:
No loss?? I had a decent HT before this and spent $500 to build this frame out. Have you priced out frames lately? A good FS frame is anywhere from $500 and up. I don't have that kind of money at my disposal. I may be able to sell this frame or for that matter the whole bike if I wanted but I am still going to have to caugh up a bunch of money regardless to buy a new frame or bike. I thought I was through spending.

Guess my only option is to suck it up and just ride this one until I can afford a different bike.
So put the parts on your HT, sell this frame on eBay and buy another one off eBay with the money you made from selling the smaller frame.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
I have a hard time believing there's a 2 inch difference in TT between a large and a medium. Are you sure yer measuring correctly? What is frame size, ie bb spindle to seatclamp? No offense, but tis harder to screw that measurement up.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
A tough lesson in checking bike measurements. For now you could think about longer stems and/or lay back seatposts as a cheaper alternative until you can afford a different frame...

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
iviguy said:
Deal with it. It's no one's fault but yours. "Buyer beware".
Or try suing Specialized.

People have given you advice on what to do, but you don't sound satisfied. Do you want someone to pay you the money you're out?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you take the parts off the frame that's too small and sell it on ebay or the classifieds you should have enough to buy a comparable frame that fits off ebay or the classifieds (note "comparable", that means one with matching dents to the frame you were given, not a new frame). About the only additional out of pocket costs would be shipping on the frame you buy and the build by the LBS. Around $100? Probably the best you can do unless you find a frame locally and build it yourself.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
singletrack said:
I have a hard time believing there's a 2 inch difference in TT between a large and a medium. Are you sure yer measuring correctly? What is frame size, ie bb spindle to seatclamp? No offense, but tis harder to screw that measurement up.
BB spindle to seatclamp is about 420mm give or take 3mm.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
A tough lesson in checking bike measurements. For now you could think about longer stems and/or lay back seatposts as a cheaper alternative until you can afford a different frame...
I have a 120mm stem and thought about the lay back seatpost but don't know how that will affect my pedal alignment.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Like meloh1 said, you aren't really out that much. If money's a big issue go hardtail. But in any case you can buy something like you got for as much as you can sell what you got. You've picked up some experience and had this bike. Now you'll have another even better bike.

It's all about attitude and outlook. The entirety of life's like that. Everything goes wrong to some extent or another, inevitable, it's the nature of the universe. How we deal with it is the test. Sorry this last bike didn't work out. Now get the gripe outta your system and start getting your new bike together.

Ron

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tlg said:
Deal with it. It's no one's fault but yours.
What?? Did you read the post completely? I don't think there was any confusion.

Buyer beware
As the post said, the frame was given to me.
Or try suing Specialized.
As the post said, the frame was given to me. ie... Specialized had nothing to do with it.
People have given you advice on what to do, but you don't sound satisfied.
The only problem I had with the advice is that I am on a tight budget and can't afford to just throw a couple hundred here and several hundred there. Can you say SITCOM? Single Income Two Children Oppressive Mortgage
Do you want someone to pay you the money you're out?
Sure. Thanks for offering. Please send me $500 as soon as possible and that should make things much easier, unless my wife sees the extra cash.

Try reading the post next time.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.