Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a take-off SID Select recently to put on my new Chisel frame. Its got the "RL" damper, which refers to rebound/lockout, but it doesn't appear to actually lock out when you put it in the locked position, it just appears to make the compression damping a bit more firm. Is my fork fucked? Is there another adjustment I should be using? I use the lockout a lot because I tend to ride the road to get to the trails and it completely blows to ride up a paved or gravel climb with the fork bobbing everywhere.

If I swapped in the race day damper, would I get a real lockout?

· Registered
421 Posts
I bought a take-off SID Select recently to put on my new Chisel frame. Its got the "RL" damper, which refers to rebound/lockout, but it doesn't appear to actually lock out when you put it in the locked position, it just appears to make the compression damping a bit more firm. Is my fork fucked? Is there another adjustment I should be using? I use the lockout a lot because I tend to ride the road to get to the trails and it completely blows to ride up a paved or gravel climb with the fork bobbing everywhere.

If I swapped in the race day damper, would I get a real lockout?
It should be almost a full lockout. How active is it?

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

· Registered
469 Posts
Which model? Is it the new 2021 SID or SID SL or the previous version? The new one advertises “Rock Solid Lockout”. Just curious as I am about to pull the trigger on a SID SL for my Chisel.

· Registered
5,966 Posts
I don't have your specific model, but that model appears to a version of the motion control damper. With my MC damper, there was "lockout" on the dial, but it was still just a firming of the damper.

When I did the service and looked at the design, I could see it's an air/oil style damper. This type will always have movement because the air must compress before the oil flows (or the dial limiting flow)

IMHO, you do not want a full-on lockout because when you hit a bump, it will go right to the bars and to your hands. It also puts stress on all the nonmoving parts like the stem, the uppers and the headset.

· Registered
469 Posts
Ahhh. Sounds like he has the previous SID. Reading about the 2021 SID, it has a feature that even fully locked out if you hit a large bump the shock will absorb that impact.

· Registered
117 Posts
If you hit a large bump locked out you have two choices in damper behaviour - blow off to absorb the impact, or blow the damper to absorb the impact.

· Registered
469 Posts
Accordibd to Rockshox….
“When locked out, the fork offers a properly firm platform, though if you do hit something really hard, there’s a built-in threshold to automatically open the fork up and protect the damper internals.”

· Registered
852 Posts
I'm going through this right now. It's a 2021 ultimate, but the lockout isn't working properly. Started off "rock solid" and it's now more like a heavily dampened motion. It's being sent back for work...hopefully under warranty.

· Registered
402 Posts
If it's the new 35mm sid, then the lockout should be super locked. Mine was, until I blew up the damper.

· Registered
402 Posts
Yep, it's the 2021 SID select, the 35mm one. It was a new takeoff from a 2021 Epic Evo. Not super locked and never has been.
Hmm yeah, that doesn't sound great. Mine went during a race. I noticed that the lockout wasn't locking out like it should and the first inch of travel or so was totally undampened and when riding it felt like my headset was super loose. SRAM is going to warranty the shitty damper in the select with the "raceday" damper that comes in the ultimate. However, since sram said it wouldn't be available until October, I ordered a sid ultimate with the intention of selling the select once it's repaired. So far the Ultimate is marginally better. It too locks out completely. The damper hasn't failed, but one of the wiper seals started leaking after 50 hrs. Did the 50 hr service and the other wiper started leaking within 20 hours of use. Rockshox can kind of suck it right now.

Reactions: CaveGiant

· Registered
402 Posts
Yep, it's the 2021 SID select, the 35mm one. It was a new takeoff from a 2021 Epic Evo. Not super locked and never has been.
Oh, is it a remote lockout? twistloc? If it is, make sure your cable tension is set correctly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.