Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a new set of cranks and not sure what ones im gonna go with. i've looked at the raceface deus 2010 cranks but not sure if they have fixed their problems with the previous models? also looking at the truvativ noir cranks which i feel are sweet. if you have any suggestions i would love to here them....also in not a shimano guy so please give me some other suggestions...thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
no one should be a brand guy. get what works.. shimano cranks and well proven to work extremely well, and are priced competitively or below everyone elses comparable cranks.

shifters are one thing, but shimano cranks kinda set the industry standard. you certainly dont HAVE to use them, i actually loved my raceface ride crank, but dont write off shimano either.

id be happy with a new raceface crank, but for the price i dont think i could justify it over a sturdier slx.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
iwantalitebike said:
....also in not a shimano guy so please give me some other suggestions...thanks in advance:)
When it come to cranks, i'd interpet this to mean 'i prefer inferior product.' With this in mind, i recommend the noirs- if they're anything like my stylos were, you can look forward to replacing the nds crank arm twice before giving up and getting a FSA crank that actually works.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I have '08 Diabolus cranks and before that I've had Evolve Cranks, both of which I've taken off and on for various reasons. I have heard of some people having problems with race face cranks but I haven't had a single issue with mine.....also were problems with OEM models or the Aftermarket ones? I've noticed this year Race Face has somewhate seperated their aftermarket range from the OEM range to make both more distinct from each other.

My Daibolus are easy to install and take off (can't get that much easier than an 8mm allen key) but the system can be painful if you're trying to adjust a chainguide thingy behind the BB or something like that where you migh want to take them on and off several times...that's where the Shimano system is easier and well quicker mainly.

At the moment I've got FSA Afterburner which seem shimanoesque. So if you really don't like shimano's for some reason then maybe try something out of the FSA range? But then if like me you haven't had shimano cranks beyond the non ex type deores then perhaps they are worth a try?

·
Registered
85 Posts
iwantalitebike said:
Im in the market for a new set of cranks and not sure what ones im gonna go with. i've looked at the raceface deus 2010 cranks but not sure if they have fixed their problems with the previous models?
I just bought the new Raceface Deuse Crankset. It's pretty smooth and extremely light. I would highly recommend it. I believe I saw it on Ebay for around $250.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
kibbs said:
Guys on the Noir 3.3 is this compatible with a Chris King BB or do you have to run the SRAM BB with this one? I am building out an Ibis Mojo and the 3.3 might be a great addition.
One of the bearings for the truvativ junk is a different size than what the rest of the market uses, but the cups may be the same. I'm loving the enduro bearings route- 1/10th the price of a king and no plastic inner cups to crack or slop around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.