Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bonkin' clyde
Joined
·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have this old, POS no-name crankset on my good ol' Giant Rincon. I want to remove it. I am looking in the meantime for a RF set-up but that's unimportant. how do I go about removing it??? Thanks guys. I could've learned all about this at the lbs I might be working at 3 months from now but impatience is upon me..

Here are some photos:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
tool

bluronthetrails said:
Hey guys, I have this old, POS no-name crankset on my good ol' Giant Rincon. I want to remove it. I am looking in the meantime for a RF set-up but that's unimportant. how do I go about removing it??? Thanks guys. I could've learned all about this at the lbs I might be working at 3 months from now but impatience is upon me..

Here are some photos:[/QUOTE

With a crank puller, after removing the bolt. Be sure to also remove the washer behind it if there is one, or you will strip out the crank threads when you use the tool.

No offense to you personally, every body here started at square one at one time. But if that impending job a the LBS involves wrenching on customers' bikes, and you are not familiar with a crank puller, you should maybe post the name of the shop here so others can steer clear until they get you up to speed. Like I said, nothing personal, but makes me glad I do all my own work.
 

·
bonkin' clyde
Joined
·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know

bulC said:
No offense to you personally, every body here started at square one at one time. But if that impending job a the LBS involves wrenching on customers' bikes, and you are not familiar with a crank puller, you should maybe post the name of the shop here so others can steer clear until they get you up to speed. Like I said, nothing personal, but makes me glad I do all my own work.
LOL. Naw man. I know how to do most other stuff. The bike you're seeing has gone through a whole lot of crap regarding my working on it and I've come down to a needle-nose pliers, an allen key (specific size I don't remember right now) and thats about it to do most of the work on my bike. Chain tools, chain whips etc, I am familiar with, but since I have never pulled a crank before, I was unsure of how exactly to do it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
should be fairly apparent how to use the crank puller once you take off the plastic cap and take out the bolt that holds the crank onto the BB taper. Be sure to clean the threads in the crankarm, grease or oil them before inserting the puller, and screw it into the crankarm all the way. I've pulled the thread right out of aluminium crankarms (shimano deore) despite doing all this.

- Joel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
allen key and needle nose pliers

bluronthetrails said:
LOL. Naw man. I know how to do most other stuff. The bike you're seeing has gone through a whole lot of crap regarding my working on it and I've come down to a needle-nose pliers, an allen key (specific size I don't remember right now) and thats about it to do most of the work on my bike. Chain tools, chain whips etc, I am familiar with, but since I have never pulled a crank before, I was unsure of how exactly to do it...
Add some channel locks and a BFH* tool to your inventory and you're ready to work on bikes at WalMart.
Gotta wonder what "most" of the work on your bike would entail, given your tool inventory. Adjusting hub cones must be a ***** with the needlenose. I agree that your bike has likely gone thru "a whole lot of crap."
That's ok though. I dimly recall wrecking something every weekend on my Varsity, using my dad's lawnmower tools, and then having to wait for Tuesday to repair the damage, as our local shop was always closed on Mondays. I learned a lot about how far one can tighten things with a crescent wrench before they break.
Interesting censor program, had to hit edit to come back and see if the word "*****" ends up as ***** a second time, or if that was a fluke.
Would be tough to discuss a female dog on this forum. ***** ***** *****

*Big ### Hammer
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top