Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new crankset and I would like to save some weight without breaking the bank. My previous set up was a old skool square taper Cook Bros E crank on an Action Tec Ti BB. The square taper interface on the drive side crank arm is deformed so my cool E cranks are toast. But the BB still works fine.

My interim crank is an Evolve XC X-type race face that I pulled off my back up bike. It's kinda heavy and I'm sure I could save some weight here. So what would you recommend? My budget is around 300.00. So far I've been looking at the Deore XT and the Deus X-Type. The Deus seams lighter but the XT looks like a better design.

Any advice?

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW that is a good deal. And it looks like the XTR takes regular sized chainrings.

OR

They sell middleburn cranks that are super light and would go on my square taper Ti BB.

I should probably just retire the square taper and go with the XTR. From all I have read, Shimano makes a sturdy crankset.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I had a Race Face Deus. It was light and stiff. Had a little chain suck problem with the middle ring until I polished up the teeth. The b/b needs to be set up correctly or you will have problems with it ( I had no problems because I set mine up right or just got lucky....you will see a lot of others didn't).

I have a new XT on my bike now....shifts great and is stiff, and a no brainer b/b. I didn't weigh it, but weight weenies has it listed at just a little heavier than the Race Face.The little ring bolts are steel...changing those could get you closer to the Deus.

But if you have the extra 50 bucks...get the XTR

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why don't you get one of the nice square-taped cranks out there? Like a Race Face? It will match your BB. Not as stiff, but if you're light weight, you don't need the stiffness. Also keep in mind that using an integrated XT crank is like riding on a horse due to the Q-factor.
If you're really tight on money, get an old Shimano Deore square taper, which is only about 20g heavier than the Race Face (and probably stiffer since it's already Hollow Tech).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.