Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing my current crankset with the XTR M970 (used, good deal). I just want to make sure that it will fit properly. My bike is an 01 GT XCR 5000 with I-Drive of coarse. My concern is newer cranks are running outboard bearings (my current one does not). I'm wondering how this will effect clearances and such especially on the drive side. Sorry for my lack of technical terminology....still a big noob! Thanks for any input!!!!

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
It'll probably work

TaporSnap said:
Hey guys, I'm looking at replacing my current crankset with the XTR M970 (used, good deal). I just want to make sure that it will fit properly. My bike is an 01 GT XCR 5000 with I-Drive of coarse. My concern is newer cranks are running outboard bearings (my current one does not). I'm wondering how this will effect clearances and such especially on the drive side. Sorry for my lack of technical terminology....still a big noob! Thanks for any input!!!!
I can't say for sure but I think it'll probably work. The crank is designed to accomodate the outboard bearing without majorly affecting chainline. It comes with spacers that go between the drive side bearing and the BB shell, so you can tweak the chainline. I've retrofitted a few older bikes with the new BB bearing designs and never had a problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Appendage. I found a good deal on an SLX kit, so I guess I'll go ahead and order that tomorrow and give it a try.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I ran a Stylo Carbon crank with outboard bearings on my 2001 Gt I-drive Team. It worked fine with the spacers. The only weird part is the 3 small screws that retain the eccentric ring may interfere slightly with the outboard bearings but it shouldn't be a problem if you need a spacer on that side anyways. Mine worked fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have another question....I'm looking at the SLX M660 kit at Blue Sky Cycling. It doesn't specify a clamp size for the front derailleur, just an option for top swing or bottom swing and I'm not sure what I need. Is there one clamp size that is pretty much universal? And do I need a top or bottom swing? I guess there is also high and low clamps, again not sure what I need. grrrrr nothing is just cut and dry...

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
Front derailleurs

TaporSnap said:
Thanks for all the replies. I have another question....I'm looking at the SLX M660 kit at Blue Sky Cycling. It doesn't specify a clamp size for the front derailleur, just an option for top swing or bottom swing and I'm not sure what I need. Is there one clamp size that is pretty much universal? And do I need a top or bottom swing? I guess there is also high and low clamps, again not sure what I need. grrrrr nothing is just cut and dry...
3 things to know for a front derailleur:
1. Clamp size. There is not a universal clamp size that fits all but Sram derailleurs come with a shim that will fit a couple of different sizes. I don't remember what your size is- for some reason 31.8mm is coming to mind- but you should be able to find it here somewhere on this forum. Either that, or go to your local bike shop and try them on for size. If you have some calipers, you can measure the diameter of the little mounting stub that the derailleur clamps onto. It's a good excuse to buy a cheap electronic caliper, because you'll find it to be a useful tool.
2. Top or bottom swing. Is the derailleur cage above (top swing) or below (bottom swing) the clamp? For your bike, you want top swing (cage above the clamp).
3. Top or bottom pull. Does the cable come from above the derailleur (top pull) or below it (bottom pull)? In your case, it's bottom pull- the cable comes up from underneath the bottom bracket. Correct? You should have a plastic cable guide thingy screwed into the underside of the BB shell.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appendage said:
3 things to know for a front derailleur:
1. Clamp size. There is not a universal clamp size that fits all but Sram derailleurs come with a shim that will fit a couple of different sizes. I don't remember what your size is- for some reason 31.8mm is coming to mind- but you should be able to find it here somewhere on this forum. Either that, or go to your local bike shop and try them on for size. If you have some calipers, you can measure the diameter of the little mounting stub that the derailleur clamps onto. It's a good excuse to buy a cheap electronic caliper, because you'll find it to be a useful tool.
2. Top or bottom swing. Is the derailleur cage above (top swing) or below (bottom swing) the clamp? For your bike, you want top swing (cage above the clamp).
3. Top or bottom pull. Does the cable come from above the derailleur (top pull) or below it (bottom pull)? In your case, it's bottom pull- the cable comes up from underneath the bottom bracket. Correct? You should have a plastic cable guide thingy screwed into the underside of the BB shell.
Awesome, that was a great help. The kit is ordered plus a tooth fairy bash guard to protect my new investment :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts