Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this isnt exactly downhill/ freeride related, but i posted it in the drivetrain forum and got no answers...

recently took off my crankset to clean it, when doing this i tool all the bolts out and cleaned each ring individually. i put everything back together thinking everything was fine, but now the chain keeps coming off the ring, its not hitting the deraileur, it just comes off. it doesnt look bend, it looks like its not in line with the cassette and the rest of the chain. What did i do wrong???

thanks
andy

·
Registered
744 Posts
Maybe it was a worn ring, so that the teeth are "hooked" and then you put it on backwards? Also, did you tighten the cranks down as far as before?
thebikedoctor33 said:
its a square taper, its exactly the same setup as it was before i cleaned it

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayndar said:
Maybe it was a worn ring, so that the teeth are "hooked" and then you put it on backwards? Also, did you tighten the cranks down as far as before?
no its not on backwards, the "ramped" side is in, and yes it is tighened down all the way

i really have no clue wuts wrong...

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
Wayndars' on to something..

thebikedoctor33 said:
no its not on backwards, the "ramped" side is in, and yes it is tighened down all the way

i really have no clue wuts wrong...
The teeth on the chainring are worn. Imagine the downstroke of pedaling. The wear is gonna happen near the crank arm. If u rotated the ring(Wayndar said backward but i knew what he meant). Refer to my crappy drawing below. The red area is in the powerstroke of the ring. The blue doesnt see the same wear as the red area. So maybe u just need to "turn" the ring halfway or a quarter way. I took my ring to the shop and the mechanic stared at it for a min and made a mark on it w/ a marker so i could remount it in the same position. Hope this helps. Sorry for the drawing but..... I suck

Attachments

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
is it an old crankset because that happened to me on one of my hardtails. The teeth on the inner 2 chainrings got sooo worn down, the chain would slip off and cause u to hit ur knee on the handlebars on uphills when it would slip( painfull). it happened also during riding around on the street. my lbs said it could be fixed by getting some new chain rings. which isnt that big of a deal.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.