Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up a Ripmo with a full XT 12 speed drivetrain. Shop is having trouble tracking down the new XT crankset, but has offered a MT900 at the same price. They are saying it is an unmarked XTR. Anyone familiar with this? What's the weight differences? Is this a deal?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It isn’t an unmarked xtr. It is essentially, an unmarked XT crankset with an XTR chainring. The non-drive side arm mounts to the spindle via opposing hex bolts... just like m7000, m8000 & m9000. The m9100 series uses a preload collar and has a mounting bolt that threads into the spindle itself (like RF and others). Personally, if I were waiting for an m8100, I wouldn’t hesitate to take an MT900 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
It isn't an unmarked xtr. It is essentially, an unmarked XT crankset with an XTR chainring.

Personally, if I were waiting for an m8100, I wouldn't hesitate to take an MT900 instead.
Nailed it. I would also take an MT900 in a heartbeat. The MT900 + XTR chain ring combo will make it lighter than a comparable XT M8100 set. The all-black color mix of matte and gloss makes it look more sleek, too.

Also, the XTR chainring alone retails for about US$130.00 already. The MT900 you're being offered with is good value for money.

Btw, be mindful that the MT900 has a wider q-factor than an XTR M9100 (172 vs. 162mm). There are plans to also phase this model out in the coming months. This won't be part of Shimano's 2020 inventory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have MT900 with 34t chainring and the weight is 590g, qfactor is 172 and chainline is 52.

The new xt cranks have 3 version 172,178,181 q factor and 52,55 chainline options weight is 640g with 34chainring.

mt900 is very good crank all black with xtr chainring

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.