Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the model numbers themselves are enough to give me the idea.. but I would like to have the opinion of you all..

I have a Trek 4900 with a Shimano FC-M08 crankset, on an 8speed drivetrain. It came stock with the bike, and I believe its a nonseries crankset by Shimano.

I was given a new Shimano LX M580 crankset by a friend of mine. Do you think there is a big difference between the two cranksets?

I am debating whether to put the LX crankset on, or to sell it off. If it is going to make a difference, then I will put it on. The thing that is bothering me is that the LX580 is "designed" for 9-speed drivetrains, and I am running an 8-speed drivetrain.

So what do you all say- put it on the bike or on ebay?

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Well, I also have a 4900, but I don't believe I have the same stock crankset as yours. But if I were you, I would put on the LX crankset... but thats just me..

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Another option

Run the stock crankset. Put the LX cranks in the parts bin until the stock cranks die. Replace with LX. If this isn't an option, I vote for putting the LX cranks on now.

Bob

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
LoneRanger said:
thx for the suggestions. My concern is if the new crankset (9 speed) will be compatible with my 8-speed drivetrain or not.... can anyone help me out please?
yep, it'll work perfectly w/ 8spd drivetrain. did you get the BB too? you might need a new BB when you get around putting it on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.