Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got xt m8000 1 by 11 group.
The crankset is boost 175 mm. with 32 chainring.

I'd like to switch to 165 mm cranks.
the question is: there is no m8000 165 boost cranks. what would be the best option for me to switch to 165 cranks in order npt to change many parts.

is m8100 cranks and chain ring compatible woth m8000 1 by 11?

what are the options for 165 boost cranks which my be compatible with my setup
ideally I would like not to change bb and chainring and the chain. just the cranks, but i'm opened for suggestions.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,500 Posts
I run the M8000 165 cranks on my Stache 29+ without issue. Well I say without issue but I can only back pedal in the 46T cog for about 3/4 turn before the chain drops down to the next cog. I think the stock setup did the same as well IIRC. I think that it is more of an issue with the short chainstays rather than the chainline. I would think that if anything it would actually do better since the chainline is closer to the larger sprockets now. I also read the Wolftooth tech document that with an 11 speed 148 hub that 49-50mm is the ideal chainline. This is with the 29x3.0 tires.
"Coming back around to Boost, you can do the math quickly that for 10 speed 45mm centerline + 2mm shift towards the small cogs + 3mm boost shift = 50mm and for 11 speed 44mm+2mm+3mm = 49mm for the center of a Boost rear hub's cassette. The ideal boost chainline is actually ~49-50mm if you have adequate chainstay clearance and don't run plus-sized tires. This means that in most cases the current Wolf Tooth Drop Stop (TM) chainrings are perfectly suited for Boost rear hub bikes. The reason we don't make 46-47mm chainline rings for non-boost bikes is that most bikes have inadequate chain clearance for "average" sized chainrings (30t-32t) at that narrow chainline." https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/boost-chainline-and-chainrings

Text Line Font Parallel Rectangle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.