Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new crankset for my 18-speed commuter. Will a 9-speed crankset work or should I be on the lookout for an 8-speed or less? I found a used crankset on eBay and it mentions that the chainrings are Hyperglide. Any problems with using this one?

· Registered
2,728 Posts
p0werp0p said:
I need a new crankset for my 18-speed commuter. Will a 9-speed crankset work or should I be on the lookout for an 8-speed or less? I found a used crankset on eBay and it mentions that the chainrings are Hyperglide. Any problems with using this one?
I've seen quite a few NEW Stx-rc 7/8 spd cranksets on Ebay for cheap. The 9 spd would work, but not as compatible or smooth.

· Registered
184 Posts
p0werp0p said:
6 speed would mean friction front shifting, right? Some points about the "speeded-ness" of chainrings:

1. All derailleur chains, and thus the rings and cogs they run on, have an inside width of 3/32". 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed, the thickness can't change.

2. It's the outside dimensions, and the spacing between cogs and rings, that changes.

3. 6, 7, and 8 speed systems have essentially the same spacing

4. Even if the front chainring spacing is different, this would not be a problem for a friction system, as the derailleur can be in any position it needs to be.

The solution: Any crankset, use "8 speed" chainrings, and don't worry about how well they'll shift. Ramps and pins are mostly there to allow front indexing to work. Friction is much more forgiving. You can use "9 speed" rings, but they cost more, so why bother? FWIW, I'm mixing 8 and 9 speed rings in a 7 speed drivetrain without issues.

--Shannon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.