Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to spend some money on my bike and reduce some weight so I thought I would start by replacing my Hussefelt/Howitzer crank/bb combo. I really don't need something quite that burly but not flimsy.

I figured I would go with XT, then I saw SLX. Other than the weight vs cost are there any other reasons to go either way? There is about a $100 difference between XT and SLX

SLXwbash guard $200ish, 999g
XT $300ish, 853g

Hussefelt/Howitzer $don't care, 1330g (I think)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The SLX with bashguard has CrMo pedal spindle inserts, while XT has aluminum threads. XT is significantly lighter but still very stiff. Also, SLX w/ bashguard comes with 36t and 22t rings while XT comes with 22t, 32t, and 42t.

As far as pricing, check out Chain Reaction Cycles. I haven't seen any other store coming even close to their prices on Shimano stuff.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
nybike1971 said:
The SLX with bashguard has CrMo pedal spindle inserts, while XT has aluminum threads. XT is significantly lighter but still very stiff. Also, SLX w/ bashguard comes with 36t and 22t rings while XT comes with 22t, 32t, and 42t.

As far as pricing, check out Chain Reaction Cycles. I haven't seen any other store coming even close to their prices on Shimano stuff.
Yeah I noticed the pedal inserts, I just assumed all cranks came with that metal washer. The triple ring SLX doesn't have them either. Is that a really big deal and could I use the one from my old truvativ cranks I am replacing? No matter which I get there is going to be an extra cost.

XT and SLX triple. Buy a bash guard (and pedal inserts?)
SLX double. Buy a 34T ring

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Its not a washer, it is an insert in the crank arm. It adds some strenght, but also weight.

Unless you are a clyde, I dont think it will matter much for you, but if you are hard on stuff, or a big guy, go SLX double.

Even with SLX double you will save ~300g so its still significant.

You can get SLX for ~105 and XT for ~150 on Chain Reaction Cycle.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
$300? They are 150 at chain reaction cycles with free shipping to USA for orders over $250. $100 for SLX.

Supposedly SLX is 100% stronger than XT....I really don't know how it could be 100% stronger for 100g so I'd take that like with any advertising--with a grain of salt. You can't go wrong with SLX or XT, both have good reviews and strong enough for all but extreme FR and DH.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20679

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Renovatio said:
$300? They are 150 at chain reaction cycles with free shipping to USA for orders over $250. $100 for SLX.

Supposedly SLX is 100% stronger than XT....I really don't know how it could be 100% stronger for 100g so I'd take that like with any advertising--with a grain of salt. You can't go wrong with SLX or XT, both have good reviews and strong enough for all but extreme FR and DH.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20679
I am in Canada so I was going by the cheapest LBS price I found in CDN$.
Does the SLX double really have an actual insert then? There is no mention of that on the spec sheet of either model, just a washer on the double.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con...ountain/slx/product.-code-FC-M665.-type-.html

·
Registered
553 Posts
The US dollar to pound rate is very favorable to us right now in this regard. shimano crankset search

I plan on picking up an XT set shortly. Mainly because I like the look better, and it'll match all the other XT stuff I have. I have full faith in it to do exactly what I want it to do.

Buying from CRC is only really good for us US types if you're buying big ticket items. The shipping charges can suck, but order enough stuff and that doesn't matter.

Not sure how the canadian conversion is though.

·
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
can find the SLX via froogle.com for about 115$ for the triple ring... in light of what the weights of that bash is buy the triple and spend some of what you saved on a nice light weight bash.

slx is on my list of wants for upgrades... price is NICE for everything i read about it

·
Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
603 Posts
I own both and both are great cranksets. I am a little more confident in the SLXs because of the pedal inserts... I have had a pedal failure in my XTs and some of the outter thread is gnarled up because of it.

I like my SLXs and they are on the bike i ride 90% of the time, but the XTs are a nice set and will me moved over to the bike that I will ride the other 10% this summer.

If weight is the major driver then the XTs and if strength or cost are the driver go with the SLXs

·
1,113 Posts
donalson said:
can find the SLX via froogle.com for about 115$ for the triple ring... in light of what the weights of that bash is buy the triple and spend some of what you saved on a nice light weight bash.

slx is on my list of wants for upgrades... price is NICE for everything i read about it
Not positive, but pretty sure you gotta purchase the double set for the more heavy duty insert.

Was told by the LBS the double is the stronger AM version.

The triple does not come with the chromo pedals inserts

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
The SLX double is the same as the tripple, it just comes with a bash guard.
The weights are so close, I'd go with the SLX. It's the same bearings and I believe rings.
If you use anti seize and tighten the pedals properly the XT will hold up fine with the aluminum threads. I've been using the old LX hollowtech 2 cranks on my San An for 5 years now and they have aluminum threads.
I am conservative by nature and prefer a sacrifice of a couple of grams, for some extra strength in the right places.
Even Saint is light compared to cranks from just a few years ago.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
another really cheap option would be to get some holzfeller OCT cranks and then you wouldn't have to buy a new BB. i got some cranks and BB for $85 shipped. ebay is great.

out of those two i would say go for the XT's. The guy i ride with is about 170 and goes really big on his. 25+ foot gaps and such. they are plenty strong.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I'm gonna go for the SLX over the XT mainly because they are much cheaper and only a little bit heavier but still lighter than the Hussefelts. But now I don't know if I should be getting the double or triple. Are the inserts really going to be that important? I am sure I have had cranks without them before. The only crank I have ever had problems with were the current Hussefelts which somehow got bent, either the spider or the arm.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.