Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to pedal and walk like a duck.....

I have been running Shimano SLX cranks and have been having issues for years with shoe rub. The SLX and other cranks from Shimano us a design where the arms are flat for a bit then transition inward to meet the crank spindle. This design helps them accommodate clearance for front derailleurs but has the downside that shoes often rub in the area where the crank is further away from the chainring and closer to the shoe/pedal area.

For single speed, I really want a crank where arms take a straight line from the bottom bracket spindle to the pedal spindle. This sort of design would provide more clearance to prevent shoe rub and since I run single speed I don't really need to allow for a front derailleurs.

Can anyone provide feedback on cranks that from the perspective of shoe rubs? In particular if you have experience with multiple brands I am interested in your thoughts. My guess is that newer cranks built for dedicated single ring setups will have more shoe clearance but I am not sure if manufactures are changing their crank arms or just removing one of the rings.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Have you thought about road cranks with a low Q factor? I'm running old Dura Ace square taper cranks with 38T ring on my SS. Not sure if it'll help in your case, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im using xx1 crank with 156 Q factor, way less shoe rubbing compared to my previous XT. I also use Rotor crank on my SS, which has completely straight crank arms.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use SLX cranks and have never had any issues with shoe rub. I also use the raceface ride crank on my SS and I have not had an issue with it either. It does seem to be more straight then the SLX. You could also go old school and get some pedal extenders.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts