Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my freehub is starting to go since my cranks spin on their own (noticed when I rolled the bike out of the garage).

It is the FIRE c-dale hub, so I know it's not worth rebuilding...but I do have a couple of ???

1. could it be that I have mud & crud in the hub? Will a thorough cleaning solve the problem?

2. I'm eyeing a mavic XM819 tubeless rim laced to an XT hub. Will this weigh much more than the FIRE/XM117 combo?

thanks in advance.....

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
1. Possible, it's probably the freehub pawls that don't work as they should, maybe due to crap stuck in there (I doubt mud can make it all the way there though) or wear or the lube gunked up the inside or maybe even seized mechanism... I'm not an expert of the internals of that hub but it's not a good hub, that I know.

It could be worth opening it up, clean, check for something weird, relube and see if it works better after that but don't spend too much on that, do it yourself if possible.

2. XM819 is a great rim, my favorite stand-alone rim. Strong, stiff and UST. XT hubs are much better IMO. They are easy to maintain and rebuild and can last a long time. They are also not very expensive. It will probably come out lighter than your current wheel, although I'm not familiar with the precise weight figures of each components. The Fire hub is heavy though. The XM819 is probably not lighter than the XM117 but, like I said, it's much stronger, stiffer and it's a UST rim so you don't need a rim strip and you can go tubeless.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.